‘Prisoners’ puts audience on emotional rollercoaster

BY EMILY CARPENTER
ARTS & LIFE CORRESPONDENT

Going to the movies is probably one of my favorite things to do in NEPA. In an area where the weather is unpredictable and there is not always much to do, the movie theater is always something I can rely on.
No matter what, I always seem to find something that I want to see.
That being said, I have definitely seen my fair share of duds and letdowns, but that certainly was not the case this past weekend.
The movie “Prisoners” provided viewers with the suspense, entertainment and plot twists they all were looking for. If you are into edge-of-your-seat thrillers filled with crime, I would definitely say this movie is for you.
“Prisoners” hits on all your emotions. You will bite your nails, jump, cry and smile.
Hugh Jackman’s phenomenal acting will leave you in awe as he battles tirelessly to find his missing daughter in the lead role.
Jackman plays Keller Dover as he tracks down his six-year-old daughter, Anna, and her friend when they go missing. With his daughter’s life hanging in the balance, Dover takes matters into his own hands.
Although the movie is a bit on the longer side at 153 minutes, it is worth your time.
The movie keeps you guessing the entire time and has a huge plot twist toward the end. Director Dennis Villeneuve keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very end. Nothing in the movie is quite what it seems.
The only negative criticism I could give is the ending, where Villeneuve leaves viewers with a cliffhanger that left me wanting to know more. Maybe he is leaving off in hopes of a possible sequel. If you are looking for something to do this weekend, this movie is definitely the right choice.

Contact the writer:
emily.carpenter@scranton.edu