University changes Sunday Mass schedule

BY EMILY GIANNELLI
FAITH CORRESPONDENT

Campus Ministry has decided to do away with the Sunday 9:30 p.m. Mass. As of the start of this semester, the Sunday Mass options include 11 a.m., 4:30 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Rev. Rick Malloy, S.J., said that main reason for this change was that “the attendance at 9:30 was waning,” which made it particularly difficult to “find folks to serve as lectors and ministers.”
Many University students said they preferred to go to Mass either right before or right after dinner, in order to avoid leaving the warmth of their rooms on cold nights or their prime cubicle in the library.
Graduate student Laura Urbanovich likes the decision for that reason.
“I like the change. 9:30 is too late, and Scranton is too cold to be walking back home at 10:30,” Urbanovich said.
Some students, like junior Anna Coutts, have a different opinion.
“That was the one I went to every week. It’s a lot more difficult to get to Mass because my day doesn’t clear up until nighttime. From what I remember, a lot of people preferred the later Mass because they eat around 7 p.m. and sleep late in the morning. I don’t know why it got cancelled if the attendance was high,” Coutts said.
Malloy also stated that the 9:30 p.m. was becoming “the last Mass in town” option for many non-University people. While all are encouraged and welcomed at Mass, many people would stand in the back and leave right after communion.
“That is not the tone or manner of participation at Eucharist we want to model or encourage among young adult Catholics,” Malloy said.

Contact the writer:
emily.giannelli@scranton.edu

One Response to University changes Sunday Mass schedule

1. Dom Casablanca '89 Reply

February 22, 2015 at 8:54 pm

My daughter is in town tonight for the Royal Nights HS event. (Unfortunately, I had to stay home). I was on the website and found this article. I’m surprised that the student mass is well attended at 7 pm. We were usually still studying or getting into the cafe. In my time there, the 9:30 was a very popular mass. I was part of the liturgical singers and loved singing at the 9:30. What is even more interesting is that we also had an 11 pm Sunday mass that was standing room only. We would often have just 4 seniors doing the music alone at that mass and it was so packed we were standing surrounded by students who could not get seats at Rock Hall. Fr. Bill Hill, the oldest Jesuit on campus usually was the celebrant and had a consistently great message to take with us as we started the week of work. Most non-university attendees went to the 11 am. 4 pm was full choir and lots of students, but mostly underclassmen. 7 pm was easily the most sparsely attended. Anyway, I am glad that the Spirit continues to lead the way at “da U”. Continue keeping the faith and making fond memories, no matter which mass you attend!