Dr. Carilli steps down from student affairs, accepts job in Knoxville

BY JUSTIN DWYER
SPORTS EDITOR

After more than a decade as vice president of student affairs, Vincent Carilli, Ph.D., has decided to step down from his role at The University.
According to an email sent by University President Kevin P. Quinn, S.J., to members of The University community, Carilli has accepted the position of vice chancellor for student life at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville.
Carilli will start his new position effective January 6, 2014, and will lead a staff of nearly 400, which supports 27,000 undergraduate and graduate students.
Carilli said he accepted the position with mixed emotions and said it was an opportunity to expand his area of responsibility.
“Scranton is a phenomenal place with great people and fantastic students. The division of Students Affairs are just a great group of men and women and I believe in this place,” Carilli said. “It was an opportunity to be responsible for a much larger portfolio and it was a good career move for me.”
After joining The University in 2001, Carilli was part of an instrumental team that started the Student Senate, Student Leadership Program, Commuter Student Affairs, Employee Wellness Program and a new Student Orientation. He was also involved in the transition from a Public Safety Department to a University Police Force, as well as leading capital improvements for campus living and dining spaces.
Carilli, who holds a Ph.D. in higher education administration, said the opportunity to also teach in the graduate program at the University of Tennessee was one of the main factors influencing his career move.
“I tried to limit the search for institutions that were appealing to me. [I tried searching] for institutions that had doctoral programs and graduate programs in higher education administration. Cleary, Tennessee fit that bill,” Carilli said.
Carilli said the decision to accept the position at Tennessee was also a family matter. His oldest daughter will be attending high school next year and the family did not want to move after she started school.
Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students, Anitra McShea, Ph.D., has agreed to assume leadership responsibility as interim vice president for student affairs for the remainder of the academic year.
Carilli said he is unsure of who will fill his position permanently, but offered encouraging words for whomever that person might be.
“The best advice I have is to be true to yourself. Be passionate with working with students and I think if you do that you will be fine. I think what’s most important is that people at The University of Scranton see the vice president of student affairs as an advocate for them and their needs. I think if they can be true to that, they can be very successful in this role,” Carilli said.
According to the email, President Quinn will announce a celebration event at a later date to give members of the University community the opportunity to congratulate and thank Carilli.

Contact the writer:
justin.dwyer@scranton.edu

One Response to Dr. Carilli steps down from student affairs, accepts job in Knoxville

1. Boris Reply

February 11, 2016 at 1:41 pm

What’s up colleagues, how is the whole thing, and what you wish for to say concerning this piece of
    writing, in my view its in fact remarkable for me.