University Profile: Douglas Boyle

ZACH DYER
STAFF WRITER

Douglas Boyle, Ph.D., is not a run-of-the-mill professor – not that many professors at The University are. Over the course of his 25 years of professional experience, he has held the title of chief executive officer, chief financial officer, chief operations officer, and president in all types of companies. He has served in all levels of industry, from start up to Fortune 500 Companies, but Boyle finds that his true passion lies with teaching.

Boyle received a bachelor’s degree in accounting from The University in 1984, a Master of Business Administration from Columbia University in 2000 and a doctorate from Kennesaw State University in 2012. While still active in the industry, Boyle worked at The University as an adjunct professor, becoming a faculty specialist while simultaneously pursuing his doctorate.

“I started as a practitioner in the field and didn’t teach much at all. I did really well, and found myself in my late 30’s being able to reassess my career. I was able to ask myself ‘What do I want to do?’ While I was a CFO in Philadelphia, I began teaching at night at a local college, and found that I really liked it. After a year or two of teaching there, I decided I would transition full time into academia somehow. I knew I needed my doctorate, so figuring that out was a challenge. I came back to Scranton and started teaching here while I was getting my doctorate degree,” Boyle said.

Boyle is a active researcher and has many articles both published and in the process of being published. He has published more than 23 papers in the past few years, and many of them have been recognized by prestigious universities and organizations.

“I do most of my research on ethical business matters, corporate governance and topics that are relevant to the accounting profession. I’m currently doing one on business communications and ethical learning objectives, in addition to another on the judgments that auditors make. There’s another one on determining alternative fraud models for the accounting profession, too,” Boyle said.

The biggest highlight of his career, though, is being part of The University community again.

“When I went to school here, I loved it. I think we have a tremendous culture and many opportunities beyond research and teaching. In the industry, you’re trying to get money and reach goals, but here it’s exciting because I have a sense of purpose,” Boyle said. “I view my purpose as contributing to our institution in whatever way possible. I want to use whatever skills I gained while practicing to help me in my role in achieving the mission of The University. In industry, it’s a lot more about yourself: you make money and you advance yourself. Now I want to advance The University in whatever way I can. There’s a shift from promoting my career and myself to helping a very worthy institution.”

Boyle said he finds motivation in being able to do whatever he wants to do, and this leads to him being very active in non-academic roles here at The University. He serves as the director of the accounting department and the current president-elect of the faculty senate.

Boyle said the most meaningful award he has received is the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Award. It integrated what he did in the classroom with what he did in research while bringing in real-world examples.

Contact the writer:
zach.dyer@scranton.edu