Comedians perform on campus

Submitted Photo: Danielle Roamer UPRIGHT CITZENS Brigade performs at The University Sept. 25.  Students enjoyed the comic relief and a break from their studies.

Submitted Photo: Danielle Roamer
UPRIGHT CITZENS Brigade performs at The University Sept. 25. Students enjoyed the comic relief and a break from their studies.

Joe Evans
News Correspondent
The Upright Citizens Brigade performed an improv comedy show for students hosted by The University of Scranton Programing Board.

The Upright Citizens Brigade is an improv comedy troupe based out of New York City and Los Angeles. The group was formed by Amy Poehler.

According to its website, the group is dedicated to fostering both an appreciation and education of the arts through affordable and high-quality comedic performances at their theaters. Famous comics like Robin Williams, Mike Meyers, Will Ferrell, Tina Fey and Conan O’Brien have performed at its theaters.

James III, one of the four performers at the show, said he always has a good time preforming on stage with the troupe.

“We always have great audiences. I’ve never had a bad experience on stage,” he said.
James said he had gotten hooked on performing after a second-grade stage show.

“I recited the last couple lines of Martin Luther King’s ‘I Have a Dream’ speech. I had tears in my eyes, I was so nervous. The crowd loved it, went crazy. I’ve been hooked ever since,” James said.

James’ comedy idols include comics such as Chris Rock and Louis C.K.

The students present at the show enjoyed the performance. Alaina Evans, a first-year student who attended the show, said she had a great time at the show.

“The sketches were really hilarious. They put on an awesome show,” Evans said.