Who’s That Athlete?

Samantha Wargo: First-Year Standout

Courtesy of scranton athletics FIRST-YEAR midfielder/forward Samantha Wargo contols the ball in a recent game at Fitzpatrick Field. Wargo is tied for the team lead in goals with 3.

Courtesy of scranton athletics
FIRST-YEAR midfielder/forward Samantha Wargo contols the ball in a recent game at Fitzpatrick Field. Wargo is tied for the team lead in goals with 3.

SARA MYERS

First-year student Samantha Wargo is tied for the most goals on the women’s soccer team with three and has helped lead the team to a 5-3-1 record this season. One of those three goals came in the 89th minute of the team’s game against Muhlenberg College Sept. 30, giving the Royals a 1-0 victory.

Sam, as she prefers to be called, is currently undeclared, but is taking courses in business. In high school, her team won a league championship all four years, along with a New York State championship in 2014. She also played basketball, helping her team win league titles in 2013 and 2014.

Q: You are tied for the team lead in goals right now with Sarah Andrews and you are in your first year. What has that been like?

A: It’s been great. I worked for it, it’s exciting, it’s been a great accomplishment and I hope to [score more goals].

Q: What has been the hardest part of your college transition so far?

A: Probably balancing schoolwork, soccer and going to practice [along with] being tired and not wanting to study.

Q: What has been your favorite part of being here?

A: Meeting new people, being friends with new people and having fun. Also, having that family experience with the team and being really close with the team.

Q: What is your favorite spot on campus to hang out?

A: My room. When I hang out in my room, I hang out with the squad [a group of three
other girls from the soccer team].

Q: Why do you love soccer?

A: It’s just something I’ve done my whole life and it’s a part of me. I knew if I came here, I had to play. I considered not playing, but I just couldn’t because it’s part of me. I just like to achieve and accomplish my goals, so it feels good when that happens.

Q: What is the most important thing you have learned from playing soccer that you could apply to any situation?

A: Even if you want to give up, never get to that point where you feel like you can’t do anything else because you always can. There is always a next step.

Q: What has your experience been like being away from home for the first time?

A: It’s been challenging. It’s definitely different; it’s hard to adjust. It [hasn’t been] that hard for me to adjust. I love it here. It’s a lot of fun.