Field hockey coach has team clicking

Courtesy of Scranton Athletics THE FIELD hockey team poses in front of the John J. Long Center this fall. The team is tied for 3rd in the Landmark Conference and has a 9-2 overall record and a 1-1 conference record this season.

Courtesy of Scranton Athletics
THE FIELD hockey team poses in front of the John J. Long Center this fall. The team is tied for 3rd in the Landmark Conference and has a 9-2 overall record and a 1-1 conference record this season.

Francesco Campese

Colleen Moyer is The University head field hockey coach. A native of nearby Shavertown, Moyer began her field hockey career in high school and played at Drew University for four years.

After college, Moyer came to The University to coach both field hockey and softball. After doing this for five years, she was given the choice to coach either softball or field hockey and chose to focus on field hockey.

Her career record as a coach is 90-80 before this season, and the team is currently dominating with eight wins and only two losses. The field hockey team, for the second year in a row, opened up the season strong with six game win streak, and has been playing .500 since its winning streak ended.

Q: What made you pick coaching field hockey over coaching softball?
A: It was the first one that I started coaching, I love both sports but it’s what I started with, and I love the fall season, which helped weigh into my decision.

Q: What is your personal philosophy in coaching?
A: I just tell my girls to give it 100 percent everyday so they will have no regrets and go into each game prepared and ready to play. Working on supporting each other as teammates because when we are on the field that is what’s most important. When we have a disappointment we like to look at what we did wrong and what we did right and learn from it, even with our wins, we want to learn from whatever we can.

Q: What has been the biggest highlight of the season thus far?
A: I would have to say our game against Susquehanna a week ago, first conference game of the season. Last year we had a disappointing loss where we were up and they came back and won. This year we definitely learned from that mistake and we won five to nothing. To come out that strong and play a full 70 minutes with that intensity, I was really proud of them.

Q: How do you measure success in a game?
A: I am always telling them to play a good, hard game for 70 minutes whether we win or lose. And take the points we have been working on in practice and apply them to the game. Usually as long as I see that they are doing this for a whole game and they are able to keep their focus for a full game, I think this is usually a good measure of success. Not whether we win or lose.

Q: You have been coaching for 10 years now; do you think you foresee yourself coaching for another 10 years or more?
A: I hope so, I hope I can keep coaching, I really love it, there are always tough parts to it, but for the most part I have a job that I really love and I get to spend time with all these great girls every day, it’s a really fun job, so I hope that in 10 years I will still be coaching.

The team has eight remaining games this season, and needs a conference record of over .500 to be able to make it to the playoffs again.