Who’s that athlete? Julia Crilly: second in school history in kills

aquinas photo / Emma Black SENIOR OUTSIDE hitter Julia Crilly spikes the ball in a recent game in the Long Center. By the end of this season, Crilly may have the school record for kills.

aquinas photo / Emma Black
SENIOR OUTSIDE hitter Julia Crilly spikes the ball in a recent game in the Long Center. By the end of this season, Crilly may have the school record for kills.

Ryan Disdier

Julia Crilly is a senior volleyball player for The University, and she is one of the best in school history. Crilly recently reached 1,500 kills, and she is close to breaking the all time school record for kills.
Crilly has been a main reason for the volleyball team’s successful 18-7 record. She went to Aquinas Institute High School in her hometown of Rochester, New York, and she is a nursing major.

Q: When did you start playing volleyball?
A: I started when I was in 7th grade, so when I was 13.

Q: How is the season going so far and have there been any surprises?
A: It’s been going very well. It’s how I’ve wanted it to go. We have a lot of wins and we’ve been improving throughout the whole season.

Q: What has been a key factor in the team’s improvement?
A: Probably our goals that we set for each other. We have goals every week that we try to focus on, so we’re consistently improving on certain things and working on the things we need to get better on in the process. We take it week by week and see what areas need improvement.

Q: As the only senior, how have you become a leader?
A: I think I have learned from the people ahead of me over the years. Now that I am the only senior, I sort of have to step into that role of being a leader by being there for the other girls. I realize I know a lot about the game and I share my knowledge with the younger girls on the team.

Q: What does it mean to be regarded as one of the best in school history?
A: It is sort of crazy, but it is really nice to have that honor and to share that honor with the distinguished players that came before me. It means a lot.

Q: How close are you to becoming Scranton’s all time leader for kills?
A: I am slightly over 100 kills away from breaking the record. It is do-able, I just have to come out and perform well each game. It is one of my goals to reach that before the end of the season.

Q: What about volleyball can you apply to every day life?
A: Staying dedicated and having a positive outlook on things. In a game you could be losing by so many points, but what we learned as a team this year is even if we are down by eight points, we can still win. Thinking positively about a situation can turn around the outcome.