Who’s That Athlete? Alyssa Fania

Field hockey’s all-time leader in assists

COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS FANIA (left) CELEBRATES her record-setting assist with senior midfielder Kathleen Keale, who scored the goal, and other teammates Saturday at home against Catholic.

COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS
FANIA (left) CELEBRATES her record-setting assist with senior midfielder Kathleen Keale, who scored the goal, and other teammates Saturday at home against Catholic.

Francesco Campese

Senior midfielder Alyssa Fania broke The University’s record for most career assists for field hockey Saturday. The record, held previously by Traci Zarbatany (1986-89), was 19 assists.

Her record-breaking 20th assist was against 9th ranked Catholic University, but it was not enough to push the team ahead, as it lost 2-1 at Fitzpatrick Field.

The Annandale, New Jersey native broke the record and now currently has 21 assists, and she still has a few more games left to continue to improve her record. Fania also is tied for the 5th most points in University history with 90 points.

Fania is continuing her dominating performance from last year. Her junior year stats were the highest on the team in goals, game winning goals, assists, total points, shots, shots-on-goal, and penalty strokes made and attempted.

Fania has received many awards in addition to her record for most career assists. She was a Landmark Conference 2nd team selection every year of her University career. Fania was also on the Landmark Conference Academic Honor Roll in 2012 and 2013. She was named Landmark Conference Offensive Athlete of the Week for the week of Sept. 22.

Q: Have you been tracking your assists as you got closer to breaking the record?
A: I don’t really keep track of any of my stats. I just do whatever I can to get us to win. Getting to play-offs and then the championships is what floats around in my mind. Everyone always seemed to tell me that I was getting close, and if it happened it happened.

Q: What emotions were going through you when you made the record-breaking assist?
A: During games I don’t really think about anything other than what we’re doing as a team and how were going to get the win. Now that I’m off the field not competing right now, I guess it’s a pretty cool thing. I guess 21 assists are a lot in field hockey? I don’t know!

Q: Did you find the record hard to break or has giving assists always been a large part of or game?
A: I feel as if I am a well-rounded player so, I assume providing assists as part of my position. As playing the center of the midfield, a lot of seeing the field, playmaking, anticipating, transitioning, and running has to be done along with playing both strong offense and defense. I have learned to love being a mid, and holding a record isn’t so bad either. Any time I can see a pass to someone in scoring position, it’s a no brainer.