KSOM student’s diversified education pays dividends

Courtesy of WikiMedia Commons  THE UNIVERSITY’S Kania School of Management offers many opportunities for students to develop both personally and profesionally. Dan Rice, a junior student at The University, has found value in diversifying his education across majors and developing skill sets outiside his area of focus.

Courtesy of WikiMedia Commons
THE UNIVERSITY’S Kania School of Management offers many opportunities for students to develop both personally and profesionally. Dan Rice, a junior student at The University, has found value in diversifying his education across majors and developing skill sets outiside his area of focus.

Commentary by Dan Rice

As a junior marketing major, I have learned a lot about the business world in the Kania School of Management. However, while what we learn in KSOM is important, we do not want to forget about other key aspects of the professional world.

For many of us, writing and properly articulating our thoughts can be challenging.

Before choosing to minor in communication I did not know how to properly articulate my thoughts and I could not write an essay to save my life. After passing the dreaded grammar exam, required of all communication students, I can honestly say that my writing and my speaking have greatly improved.

Classes required for my communication minor have also taught me to think differently. Learning about ethical journalism practices, argument analysis and how the media operates has given me a new perspective. More importantly, I now have a better understanding of the mass communication we see daily.

Aside from skills acquired through a communication minor, my personal network has both expanded and diversified.

The availability of connections from two different schools may prove to be essential, and my personal relationships with my communication professors could possibly expose me to interesting and unique opportunities.

The most important aspect of my minor is the change of pace. It’s very easy to get stuck in a one-track frame of mind if we focus on one thing for too long.

Having classes in multiple colleges has allowed me to change my mindset and stay on my toes. While this approach may not be for everyone, I have found that having a minor outside of the choices offered by my school has made my University experience much more exciting.