Defense of homosexuality

Colin Brucia

Anyone who knows me knows that I love the Bible. And as a lover of the Bible, I know that within this ancient text, a compilation of several different traditions, lie many contradictions and many outdated views, which makes it subject to many varying opinions and interpretations. The subject of gay marriage and, in general, gay rights, has been a topic of great debate in this country and recently in The Aquinas (named after another Bible lover). Therefore, considering the context in which I write (at this Bible-loving school), I thought I would do The University community a service by offering a biblical perspective on the issue of gay rights.

Some of us may be familiar with the often cited quote from Leviticus that says, “If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.” While this may be very well and good, I hesitate to heed the words of the same author who says it’s abominable to eat a lobster. Whoops. Lucky for us good Bible lovers that we do not feel the need to follow those words as carefully as others; how else would I be able to get my protein on Lenten Fridays? This is not an attack on Judeo-Christian dietary customs, but it serves to illustrate how there is a double standard by some religious authorities as to which rules one should or should not follow.

Contrary to the message in Leviticus (along with Sodom and Gomorrah in Genesis, among others), here are just a few other biblical passages.

1. Do not judge, or you too will be judged. — Matthew 7:1

2. Love your neighbor as yourself. Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. — Romans 13:9-10

3. The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God. — Hebrews 7:18-19 (kind of like the whole shellfish debacle … hmm)

I could continue, but I think my point has been made. Of course these are only mere interpretations. To my fellow Bible lovers (let’s call ourselves “Christians” for clarity’s sake) who would tell me that my interpretation is most certainly incorrect and that we must continue to persecute, objectivize and persist in an inequitable system, I would respond that they are not very Christian at all.

Nov. 6, 2014