Fluehr passes her way into record book

Lindsay

AQUINAS PHOTO / EMMA BLACK SENIOR CO-CAPTAIN Lindsay Fluehr in her usual form looking for teammates in a game this season in the Long Center. Fluehr now holds the Lady Royals all-time assist record with 510 assists.

Carmine Gerrity-Gemei

With seven assists Wednesday night, senior co-captain Lindsay Fluehr ascended to the top of the Lady Royals record book. Fluehr now has 510 assists, surpassing the previous assist record of 504 set by three-time All-American Kelly Halpin from 1996-2000. Anyone who has seen Fluehr play knows how much effort she gives night in and night out, all for her teammates. She sees through the teeth of the defense as if she is a dentist with X-ray vision.

Often the crowd will get tense and yell at her to shoot, only to begin cheering when she creates a better shot for one of her teammates.

Before setting the record against Susquehanna Wednesday, Fluehr said she does not have an exact formula for breaking down the defense and dishing out assists.

“I try to make the best possible pass. I can’t really tell you how I do it, it’s just in the moment,” Fluehr said.

“Sometimes I see a play develop before it actually happens, which I think helps me make the right pass at the right time.”

Fluehr is a rare player who can dominate the game without needing to score. You can watch the whole game, then look at her stat line and demand a reprint because of how she has controlled the game without recording star-like numbers.

“I don’t really care about points. I could not score, I could score 20 points. It doesn’t really matter to me,” she said. “I get more enjoyment out of making a good pass or making a little play that results in a bigger play.”

On the season, Fluehr is averaging 6 assists per game, 5.3 points per game, 5.1 rebounds per game and 2 steals per game. Her most impressive stat is her assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.3, which she said has been a product of her basketball maturation under the guidance of head coaches Mike Strong and Deanna Klingman.

Fluehr worked on her passing excellence well before coming to The University.

“When I was younger I used to set up obstacle courses outside like they do in the NBA Skills Challenge,” she said.

Fluehr said, as a child, she tried to gather as much basketball intelligence as possible. She followed professional players like Steve Nash, Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird and Rajon Rondo, but her favorite was Allen Iverson. It is easy to see the connection between Iverson and Fluehr: play like every game is the last, lead the team, and do anything your team needs to win. These are qualities that lead to success not only in basketball, but in life. Fluehr’s mentality is clear.

“Look for the open girl and try to do anything to win the game,” she said. “Whether it’s scoring, passing, rebounding, making a steal, it doesn’t matter to me as long as we are winning.”

Feb. 13, 2015

One Response to Fluehr passes her way into record book

1. Mike Gemei Reply

February 14, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Great article by my son. Keep it up Carmine!!