Fencing sets for big event Saturday in the Byron

SARA MYERS

Photo  courtesy of the university of scranton fencing facebook page  FENCING CLUB members practice in the fall semester. The fencing club will host a single-elimination tournament  from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday in the Byron Recreation Complex.

Photo courtesy of the university of scranton fencing facebook page
FENCING CLUB members practice in the fall semester. The fencing club will host a single-elimination tournament from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday in the Byron Recreation Complex.

The Fencing Club will hold a tournament in the Byron Center. The tournament will run from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and feature a single-elimination style, akin to a basketball tournament.

Recreational fencing clubs from the area of all skill levels will participate in the tournament, from fencers who are just starting out to those who have 20 years of experience as well as coaching experience. Secretary Jessica McAleer, a junior, says the club has been told this is the biggest tournament of its kind.

“This is the biggest open-ended tournament in Northeastern Pennsylvania that doesn’t require being affiliated with the National team,” McAleer said.

McAleer said fencing is a traditionally French sport based on finesse and skill level as well as footwork.

Bouts in the early rounds will last either three minutes or until someone scores five points. Once those who win the early rounds make it to the qualifying rounds, the winner will be determined by who scores the most points in nine minutes or who is the first to reach 15 points. The winners will advance until the gold medal round.

Medals will be awarded to the top three finishers.

Senior Matt Stokesbury will be competing in his second tournament and says the tournament is a wonderful learning experience.

“You get to meet all different kinds of people and fence all different kinds of styles and try how you are as a fencer against other people,” Stokesbury said. “I would say I learned comparatively more at the tournament than I did last year in terms of how to fence and what to do in certain situations.”

While Stokesbury is returning, there are members of the club who will be fencing in the tournament for the first time. Armand Giroux, a junior, is excited about the opportunity to compete in his first tournament.

“I feel like I was given the right steps to prepare for it. I feel like I lack experience, but I know what I’m doing at least,” Giroux said.

While there will be serious competition going on, there will also be a raffle for the spectators. The raffle will feature a snack basket, Dunkin’ Donuts gift cards and more.

Feb. 27, 2015