Two-sport athletes manage their time

SARA MYERS

Photos  courtesy of scranton athletics SENIOR MEN’S basketball guard and men’s baseball first baseman Ross Danzig in action last season. Danzig drives to the hoop in a game against Susquehanna last season (left) and takes a swing during a baseball game in his sophomore season (right). Danzig was a co-captain on the men’s basketball team this season.

Photos courtesy of scranton athletics
SENIOR MEN’S basketball guard and men’s baseball first baseman Ross Danzig in action last season. Danzig drives to the hoop in a game against Susquehanna last season (left) and takes a swing during a baseball game in his sophomore season (right). Danzig was a co-captain on the men’s basketball team this season.

Playing one sport while in college is difficult; playing two sports is almost unheard of. Every athlete understands the importance of time management in college, but for junior Erin Allen and senior Ross Danzig, time management is essential.
Both Allen and Danzig play two sports. Allen is a midfielder on the women’s lacrosse team and a midfielder and forward on the women’s soccer team, while Danzig is a guard for the men’s basketball team and a first baseman for the baseball team.

For Danzig, one of the hardest things about playing two sports whose seasons overlap is not having a break between the two seasons to let his body rest, especially when the basketball team makes a playoff and NCAA tournament run, as it did this year.

“The biggest challenge is just more the physical demands of never really having any time off. Basketball has one of the longest seasons in collegiate athletics,” Danzig said. “But it’s rewarding in the sense that I always have something to do and I’m always doing something that I enjoy doing.”

Danzig does have summers, during which he can unwind from the grind of two long seasons in physically demanding sports. He also sees the silver lining of the busy schedule that comes with playing two sports in college.

“I have to get all of my stuff done in the mornings and during the day. I can’t wait to do it at night,” he said. “By the end, after practices, I’m just shot and can’t get anything done, so being a two-sport athlete has really helped me in that sense.”

Allen’s seasons are spaced out in the fall and spring. She said she is only focused on one sport at any given time. Allen said that time management is also the greatest difficulty when it comes to playing multiple sports in college.

“The hardest part is keeping up on my work and finding time to study and make sure I got all of my homework done,” she said. “Having games in the middle of the week can be difficult with having to miss classes sometimes.”

Allen frequently takes advantage of the time she has in between classes in order to get all of her work done. She also says she will do homework ahead of time when she has the chance, which helps when a particularly busy week comes up.
For both Danzig and Allen, time management has been essential to succeeding academically while still playing two sports over the course of the academic year.

March 27, 2015.