Softball remains positive and competitive

RYAN DISDIER

photo courtesy of scranton athletics SENIOR CO-CAPTAIN Stephanie Romano takes a swing during a game last season. The team is tied for fourth in the Landmark Conference and plays its final two conference games in Jessup this weekend.

photo courtesy of scranton athletics
SENIOR CO-CAPTAIN Stephanie Romano takes a swing during a game last season. The team is tied for fourth in the Landmark Conference and plays its final two conference games in Jessup this weekend.

With the school year winding down, spring sports are approaching the end of their seasons. The University’s softball team is looking to finish the season strong, and despite an up-and-down season, it is in a position to make a run at the playoffs.

A major catalyst for the team remaining high in spirits and competitive nature is the leadership.

On a team with just a few seniors, leadership is paramount. Stephanie Romano, who plays second base and shortstop, has done a great job of helping guide the younger players.

“Being one of three seniors on the team, I just try to make sure the girls are aware how quickly time flies and how important it is to make the most out of every situation. The girls know that age and seniority have little to no impact on decisions about playing time,” Romano said.

“I try to encourage everyone to do their best and have fun,” she said.
Romano was a Landmark Conference second-team selection last year, and she started 27 of 28 games.

The team is currently 12-12 and has experienced recent struggles. It is in the midst of a four-game skid, but the team is remaining positive and the players know what they must fix.

“I think our record does not reflect how good our team really is,” Romano said. “For now, our team is just focused on winning games, improving our hitting sequences, eliminating field errors and overall team communication.”

Romano pointed out that the team has lost seven games by one run or less. The team has been competitive all year and will need to remain competitive in upcoming games against division rivals.

“We need to win both games at our next conference double-header against Drew University to have a chance to make the playoffs,” Romano said.

While playoffs are on the minds of Romano and the rest of the team, the season as a whole has been a memorable one, especially for the seniors.

“The most memorable part about my final season has been the relationships I’ve formed with my teammates. My teammates have given me a million reasons to love this sport. I couldn’t be more thankful to go through my final season with this group of girls,” Romano said.

The team faces Drew Saturday at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Those games will be the final home games in addition to senior day. Following the double-header against Drew, the team finishes its season with double-headers against Keystone College and Muhlenberg College.