Whitman shines for Royals

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS SENIOR ALYSSA Whitman (right) in the field hockey team’s season opener against Muhlenberg Tuesday, Sept. 1. Whitman scored the game-winning goal in overtime. Whitman and the Royals are off to an impressive start.

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS / SENIOR ALYSSA Whitman (right) in the field hockey team’s season opener against Muhlenberg Tuesday, Sept. 1. Whitman scored the game-winning goal in overtime. Whitman and the Royals are off to an impressive start.

Published: September 18, 2015

FRANCESCO CAMPESE

With its away victory Sunday over Kings College, 3-1, the field hockey team improves its record to 4-0.

One of the stars of the season is senior forward Alyssa Whitman, who has scored at least one goal in every game of the season, with a total of five goals.

Perhaps the most impressive part of her scoring streak is how it started in the home opener against Muhlenberg in which the Bethlehem native scored her first goal of the season in double overtime to win the game.

Whitman is no rookie to late game goals. The double OT goal marks her 7th career game-winning goal. Whitman currently has 27 career goals and is tied for sixteenth overall in goals scored in team history with plenty more games in the season to move in rank.

Q: How have you been handling your success this season? Is the goal streak distracting or motivating?

A: I don’t dwindle on my success for long at all because I want to keep my mind focused on the next game. As for the goals I see it as more of a motivator rather than a distraction. It reminds me what I am capable of and to keep working hard.

Q: Can you take me through the goal against Muhlenberg? What was going through your mind during the play leading up to the goal?

A: The nitty gritty aspect of the goal was a black out; the adrenaline rush of being in a position to score had kicked in. It was double OT and we were exhausted but kept pushing. The pass came in and the goalie was out of position and left a hole for me to tap it in.

Q: Looking at your schedule, what upcoming games do you see as obstacles to overcome?

A: We play in a very competitive division; so all conference games serve as challenges. One game we are looking forward to is against Susquehanna. They beat us last year and we want that win. The games against Catholic and Elizabethtown are both must win games if we want to see the post season.

Q: What has been the biggest challenge of the season thus far?

A: The first game of the season has been our biggest challenge. We had a lot of fresh faces this year after we graduated eight seniors last season including our starting goalie. There were a lot of preseason roster changes and we did not know what to expect. But after that game and seeing how well we played I was very proud of our team.

Q: As a one of the cap-tains and leaders on the team, how do you define success in a game?

A: On a personal level I am pretty critical on myself. We can win games and I will still be disappointed in myself if I felt like I did not play as well as I wanted to. It’s not about wins and losses. For me a successful game is when we play well all around, where we can come together as a team and do our absolute best and leave it all on the field.

Whitman and the Royals look to continue their streaks this week as they play Miseracordia at home Wednesday and Arcadia at home Saturday.