Musical worship group brings harmony to student’s college life

PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS STUDENTS PLAY acoustic instruments while others sing to worship songs at Praise and Worship Thursdays at 7 p.m. The music creates a calm atmosphere.

PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS / STUDENTS PLAY acoustic instruments while others sing to worship songs at Praise and Worship Thursdays at 7 p.m. The music creates a calm atmosphere.

Published: October 9, 2015

SARA MYERS
Reflection

As a first-year student, I began attending Praise and Worship every week midway through my first semester. Praise and Worship meets every Thursday night at 9 p.m. in the Montrone Multipurpose Room.

For most students, myself included, Praise and Worship is far more than just an hour of song and discussion. It is a family. For the first few meetings I went to, I was afraid to raise my voice above a whisper while singing, and I was uncomfortable sharing my thoughts, even though I felt I have something meaningful to contribute.

As I grew more accustomed to the environment and the people around me, I felt those fears crumbling down, and started feeling at home. Then I realized something I never expected: I had found myself a second family.

Each week, the discussions help me grow closer to God and understand God a little better. When I share my thoughts, I receive heartfelt responses from people who have experienced much the same thing.

Ultimately, I have discovered that Praise and Worship is a place I can go where I will not feel judged. I have found a group that simply listens when I have a problem, rather than reminding me things could be worse or trying to solve the problem.

As a sophomore, I have experienced immense personal growth that would have been impossible without my experiences at Praise and Worship. We talk about different things every week related to our faith, and they are very human things.

We do not discuss what certain stories in the Bible teach us about God; we discuss how God teaches us to deal with different things, like anger or impatience.

Our discussions always boil down to a central human issue that we all struggle with and how to deal with that issue.
Meanwhile, the music helps us express the love we feel for God and the joy we have because of Him.

Though very few of us can sing well individually, when we come together it sounds like all of us can sing. Although we come from all different backgrounds, the community we form is so beautiful that finding ugliness in our singing, or in the emotions and the content of our discussions, seems impossible.

In the end, Praise and Worship is a group of students who get together and share the one root we all have in common – God.

That crucial commonality draws us together, and that singular truth grounds our entire dynamic.

As a family, the members of Praise and Worship share in each other’s pain, sorrow joy and unending love for God.

Contact the writer: sara.myers@scranton.edu