Halloween overlooked in holiday cheer

Photo Courtesy of wikimedia commons DESIGNING AND crafting your own costume can add further Halloween fun to the holiday.

PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS / DESIGNING AND crafting your own costume can add further Halloween fun to the holiday.

Published: October 30, 2015

LINDA SPATOLA

With holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year’s and Easter stealing the spotlight, Halloween is often overlooked.

Each holiday seems to have a mascot, from Santa Claus to Baby New Year, but Halloween does not.

Halloween is the most creative of all the holidays. It is a time for people to express themselves, through the costumes that they pick. Whether it’s dressing up as your favorite Disney princess or as Mike and Sully from Monsters Inc., Halloween is a chance to be something that you aren’t the other 364 days of the year.

As a kid, my favorite part of Halloween was to dress up as my favorite character of the year, whether it meant being a superhero, princess or witch, and collect as much candy as possible.

Now, as an adult, my favorite part of Halloween is coming up with the most creative costume I possibly can. For the past six or seven years, I have been proud to explore my creativity and discover the unique spins I can put on my favorite fictional characters.

Instead of going out and spending a ton of money on prepackaged, store-bought Halloween costumes, I collect different articles of clothing, fabric and accessories, and work to put together an exceptional costume that is unlike any other.

In the past, I have designed solo costumes including a vampire, Catwoman, a cowgirl, a bumblebee and many more.

In the past few years I have become increasingly interested in coming up with group costumes for my friends and me. For example, we have dressed up as 101 Dalmatians, really there were four of us, with a fierce Cruella DeVille by our side, and an array of Disney princesses including Ariel, Jasmine, Aurora, Pocahontas and Snow White.

Everyone’s costumes were handcrafted and pieced together from clothing borrowed from each other, miscellaneous items we already had, a few accessories purchased from Wal-Mart and a lot of hot glue gun craftwork. I have the burns on my hand to prove it.

This year, I am in the process of creating Cosmo and Wanda costumes, inspired by the Nickelodeon hit show “The Fairly Odd Parents,” and another dynamic duo, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, from the Nickelodeon series “Spongebob Squarepants.”

I foresee myself making my own costumes for as long as I dress up for Halloween. I think making your own costume is an awesome and inexpensive way to express creativity in a unique way and transform yourself into anything you want to be.

Although Halloween is traditionally an underrated holiday, thought to be only for kids to run around and collect candy, it is really so much more. It is a time for young adults to let their creative juices flow and be anything we want in the world.
The possibilities are endless!

Contact the writer: linda.spatola@scranton.edu