Crutches prove to be hindrance

Traversing The University while utilizing a pair of crutches

Photo Courtesy of WikiMedia Commons TRAVERSING THE University while on crutches can present a unique challenge to students. The many hills and stairs that these students must face on a daily basis do not seem to be quite accomodating to their situation.

PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS / TRAVERSING THE University while on crutches can present a unique challenge to students. The many hills and stairs that these students must face on a daily basis do not seem to be quite accomodating to their situation.

Published: November 13, 2015

Commentary By
KELLY ROSS

Taken from a student’s point of view, being on crutches is a hindrance because:
1.
When you’re on crutches, having an injured leg also means having two unusable arms.

Everything becomes more difficult. How do you carry your plate in the Fresh Food Company with chicken and mashed potatoes?

And, of course, that will never be enough to survive off of until your next meal, so you also need another plate with a chicken wrap and pasta salad and then a drink to quench your thirst.

Your once friends that you hung out with for quality time are now your only resource eating meals. God bless them.

2.
Fall is one of the most beautiful seasons to enjoy a walk to class—unless you are on crutches.

You may not have noticed with your triple friction-action-packed sneakers that leaves are actually extremely slippery.

Since all of the pathways at The University are lined with trees fervently shedding their leaves, the walk to classes can be pretty treacherous.

Sometimes I fear that if one of my crutches slips on a leaf, I might fall and break an arm. Then what medical device would I need to use…

3.
Hyland Hall. Of course this one is a difficult one to get to, regardless of walking capabilities.

Granted, we do not have “that” large of a campus, but when your source of movement relies on the not-so-used-to-being-used muscles in your arms, things get tricky.

I am forever thankful for the Royal Ride system to take me back to my dorm after class, but getting there in the ten minute break I have from my previous class in Loyola Science Center is definitely a show to be seen.

4.
Strange to say, but people run away from you when you’re on crutches.

However, it is out of kindheartedness—the true Jesuit spirit displayed. Usually they have a fear that if they walk within a foot of me, they’ll send some sort of shock wave that will force my crutches to give out, causing me to tumble to the ground.

Little do they know, though, I am more likely to hit them with my crutches, or crutch on their shoe and send them falling forward than they are to knock me over. I mean, technically, I have three legs for stability. They only have two.

Crutches aren’t easy, whether a person uses them at The University or in Hawaii or Beijing.

But something you won’t get everywhere is the respect and friendliness the community at The University.
I have yet to walk to a single class or out of a single building and had to even touch a door.

Countless times people who were previously walking behind me have sped up in front of me just to open a door for me.

Other times, people who aren’t even going to the same building as I am, will go out of their way to open the door for me.

I am extremely grateful for the community I am surrounded by and the courtesy that greets me everywhere I turn.

Contact the writer: kelly.ross@scranton.edu

One Response to Crutches prove to be hindrance

1. Doris Reply

April 21, 2016 at 9:09 am

“Why?”   Your reader will also want to know what’s at stake in your claim: Why does your interpretation of a phenomenon matter to anyone beside you? This question addresses the larger implications of your thesis. It allows your readers to understand your essay within a larger context. In answering “why”, your essay explains its own significance. Although you might gesture at this question in your introduction, the fullest answer to it properly belongs at your essay’s end. If you leave it out, your readers will experience your essay as unfinished—or, worse, as pointless or insular.