Athlete spotlight: Ethan Danzig

Published: February 18, 2016

AQUINAS PHOTO / EMMA BLACK SOPHOMORE GUARD Ethan Danzig dribbles the ball against Goucher College in the Long Center during the team’s Senior Day game Saturday. Danzig broke the school record for threes in a game with nine in the team’s game at Cabrini College Monday.

AQUINAS PHOTO / EMMA BLACK SOPHOMORE GUARD Ethan Danzig dribbles the ball against Goucher College in the Long Center during the team’s Senior Day game Saturday. Danzig broke the school record for threes in a game with nine in the team’s game at Cabrini College Monday.

KATHERINE MCVEAGH

Sophomore guard Ethan Danzig had an outstanding week on the basketball court for the Royals, landing him the title of “University of Scranton Athlete of the Week.”

He put up a school record nine three pointers in the Royals’ last game against Cabrini College on Feb. 15.

Danzig was lights out, shooting 11-17 from the field and 9-14 from beyond the arc in 31 minutes.

Danzig and the Royals are enjoying a successful season, posting a combined record of 19-5, including a conferece record of 11-4.

The name “Danzig” and the word “basketball” tend to go hand-in-hand at the University, as Ethan is the son of the head coach of the men’s basketball team, Carl, and the younger brother of former basketball and baseball standout, Ross, who graduated last year.

Let’s take a closer look at the sharp-shooting guard.

Q: When did you start playing basketball?
A: Since I was about six or seven years old.
Q: Did you play other sports, or was basketball your main sport?
A: I played baseball until I was a freshman in high school.
Q: When did you consider playing basketball at the collegiate level?
A: My dad is the coach here, so I always considered it. It was always going to be here, but I just had to decide if I wanted to play or not. It runs in the family.
Q: What has been your most memorable experience playing basketball?
A: Last year, when we won the Landmark Conference Championship. I got to play with my brother and for my dad, it was a big moment for our family.
Q: Do you have any pre-game rituals?
A: I put my jersey, socks and compressions on in the same order before every game.
Q: Do you have any superstitions?
A: My last shot has to go in during warmups, before the game starts.
Q: What does breaking the school’s 3-point record mean to you?
A: It’s a special feeling. It was one of my goals coming into the season because I knew I had the ability to do it.

Contact the writer: katherine.mcveagh@scranton.edu