Athlete spotlight: Bridgette Mann

Published: February 25, 2016

MATT MCGOVERN

This week’s athlete of the week is a member of the women’s basketball team. The Lady Royals are currently undefeated at 26-0 and have the school’s all-time consecutive wins record in a season.

First-year guard Bridgette Mann has been an essential player for the team’s continued success. She has started all 26 games as a first-year, which is a remarkable feat in its own right.

Mann is coming off back-to-back double-digit scoring games, helping the Lady Royals cap their undefeated season. Mann has averaged 10.7 points per game and 3.4 assists per game. As a result, she has adapted well to the college level.

Let’s get to know the third-leading scorer on the Lady Royal’s basketball team.

Q: When did you first start playing basketball?

A: I first started playing basketball in second grade because my parents always wanted my sisters and I to be involved in sports, but I quickly fell in love with the sport and knew I wanted to continue to play for as long as I could.

Q: Who is your basketball role model? It could be a famous player or a teammate, etc.

A: I don’t necessarily have a basketball role model, but my sisters are both college athletes and have pushed me very hard and shaped me into the athlete I am today.

Q: What is your favorite memory in all of your years playing basketball?

A: Definitely winning back-to-back basketball championships in high school, but this current season is shaping into one I will definitely never forget.

Q: As a first-year, you have started every game this season. How rewarding is that as a first year student?
A: Starting every game has been extremely rewarding and I am very grateful. I appreciate all the faith that my coach and my teammates have put into me.

Q: What is the single best reason for the Lady Royals’ outstanding 25-0 record?

A: The best reason for our undefeated season is our team’s relationship both on and off the court. Because we are all very close off the court, it makes playing together that much better.

Q: What does it mean to you that your team has the Lady Royal’s record for all time consecutive wins in a season in school history?

A: It feels incredible. We really worked hard in the offseason and continue to bring a champion-like mentality every practice and game, so to have this mark in history feels very rewarding.

Q: Lastly, your team is No. 3 in Division III, do you believe that you have enough to win a National Championship?

A: Being ranked third in the nation is an incredible accomplishment and we couldn’t be more proud.

Contact the writer: matthew.mcgovern@scranton.edu