Boken moves into second on all-time scoring list

Published: February 25, 2016

RYAN DISDIER
Sports Editor

Senior guard Brendan Boken finished his career as the second all-time scorer in the history of The University.

BOKEN

BOKEN

Boken entered Wednesday’s game against Susquehanna University only 29 points away from breaking the all-time record. He finished the game with 24 points, which placed him ahead of Irv Johnson on The University’s all-time scoring list.

The record-holder for most points all-time is Gene Mumford with 1,903 points.

Boken said coming out of high school, he would have never forecasted the success he has seen at The University.

“When I was a senior in high school, I didn’t even know if I was going to play in college. I played on a pretty good team, so I didn’t get a lot of time,” Boken said. “But halfway through the season, I started getting more time and I got more interest from colleges. That’s how I ended up at Scranton.”

Boken attended Loyola High School in Los Angeles, Calif., earning varsity letters twice. During his time at LHS, Boken’s team won three Mission League Championships and compiled a four-year record of 97-18.

When Boken came to The University, he made an immediate impact. As a first-year player, he quickly developed into one of the Landmark Conference’s most prolific scorers.

Despite being high up on The University’s all-time scoring list, Boken remains humble as he makes the most out of every opportunity he was afforded.

“I had an opportunity to start as a first-year player, and that kind of influenced and inspired me to work very hard to have a memorable college career,” Boken said.

While Boken is immensely proud of his triumphs, he gives a lot of the credit to his teammates.

“Being third all-time is something I’m very proud of, but none of this would be possible if it weren’t for my teammates,” Boken said, prior to Wednesday’s game. “They have always worked hard and done great jobs setting me up to score. They’ve given me the opportunity to break the record.”

Entering his final season, Boken said the possibility of breaking the record was not his biggest concern, despite the fact that he knew it was a possibility.

“Coming into this season I knew I had somewhat of a chance to break the record. Personally, I wasn’t trying to gun for the record,” Boken said. “But the way the season’s worked out it’s within reach now.”

Although Boken had a chance to cement himself as the highest scorer in Royals’ history, he remained focused on beating Susquehanna, not breaking records.

“I’m not going to be shooting 40 shots against Susquehanna to try to break the record,” Boken joked.

“But if I continue to play the way I’m playing and just continue to take the opportunities that are given to me, I may have a chance to do it.”

Although Boken’s collegiate playing days are over, he will forever live in history on the all-time scoring list.

Contact the writer: ryan.disdier@scranton.edu