33 Days Later: Student reflects on C grade and NYC trip

Published: March 3, 2016

SUBMITTED PHOTO / JIMENA PACHELI / INTERNATIONAL STUDENT from Mexico, Jimena Pacheli, enjoying her recent trip to New York City over the weekend in Times Square (pictured above).

JIMENA PACHELI

Considering the stressful Monday I have had, curling up on my bed to write whilst listening to Steve Winwood´s “Higher Love” seems like the best way to finish the day. The Scranton challenge has definitely been upgraded.

Although I wish it were all about cupcakes and roses, rainy days are bound to happen, too.

Through the three years I have been in university, I have tried to be a good student and have never gotten a grade lower than 80, or a B. However, this changed last Wednesday when I received the grade of my first paper. I got a C. I was fairly conscious of being rusty on my formal, essay writing abilities. However, I never thought they´d go as low as C. I certainly felt discouraged and to deal with my feelings I decided to skip my working out session at the gym and stuff myself with a waffle and peanut butter.

It took the entire Wednesday and Thursday, as well as a lot of talk with many friends, here at Scranton and back in Mexico, to realize that a C is not the end of the world and that I am here to learn and improve myself. I eventually brainwashed myself into thinking that a C was but a small bump in the road and will only work as an encouragement to write better essays and to try even harder. Three papers are due tomorrow and I am hopeful they will be better, but I must admit that my writing confidence has plummeted…just a little bit.

On the bright side of life, I spent the weekend in New York City. I could not be more grateful for the opportunity of visiting this place a second time. I spent Saturday biking in Central Park, seeing dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History, having pizza in Little Italy and shopping at Times Square. There will never be a city as wonderful, eclectic and cosmopolitan as New York. It made me feel invincible, like I could take over the world with one hand and my eyes closed.

I am glad to say that I am going back really soon, though! I bought my ticket to spend March 12 in New York City and to watch the Broadway show “Les Miserables”. Also, that is part of a date I am going with the same nice guy I spoke about in the last issue.

For now, I´ll say goodbye. I´m really looking forward to living the surprises and adventures this week might bring. Until the next issue, Royals!

Contact the writer: jimena.pachecoelizondo@scranton.edu