Comical Republican race continues

Published: March 3, 2016

Photo courtesy of wikimedia commons  WHILE THE media continue to paint Donald Trump as a charicature, similar to the photo above, his ratings continue to soar. Some feel it is time to stop laughing and take a serious look at all the Republican candidates.

PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS / WHILE THE media continue to paint Donald Trump as a charicature, similar to the photo above, his ratings continue to soar. Some feel it is time to stop laughing and take a serious look at all the Republican candidates.

JOE EVANS

As fun as this election cycle has been so far, I am about ready for things to go back to normal. This whole thing still seems like someone filling in a political themed “Mad Libs.”

Specifically, if you had told me a year ago that Donald J. Trump would be leading the Republican field at this point in the election cycle I would have gotten quite the chuckle out of it.

Now that this imaginary hilarious situation is actually happening, it’s not so funny anymore. Can we all agree that this is not funny anymore? Please? Can we collectively decide for this prank to be over? When is Ashton Kutcher going to pop out of a bush somewhere yelling about how we all as a nation got punked.

The sickening reality of this whole thing setting in comes after Trump’s numerous Super Tuesday victories. Trump was projected to win the majority of these states and, for the most part, did exactly as projected.

He is still far ahead of nearly all the other candidates and just keeps racking up wins. I have this sickening feeling in my stomach that Trump’s momentum is going to keep rolling downhill into an actual GOP nomination. That idea is, in every single way I can imagine, horrifying to me.

Now, I think we all need to come together as a country and stop this horror show. It’s time we start treating Trump less like a joke and more like a legitimate threat to the nation. The whole reason he has gotten as far as he has already is because he was made into a joke. Republican officials didn’t take him seriously, the public didn’t take him seriously and, most importantly, the other Republican candidates didn’t see him as enough of a threat to even seriously attack him.

This lack of serious attention and attacks by other political candidates was what led to the current situation that the nation is looking at right now.

It allowed Trump to build up a following, take the lead and gather a tremendous amount of momentum. The collective “we” were counting down the days until he dropped out.

I know that I, like many others, was just waiting for him to say something racist, offensive or misogynistic enough to lose his current base of supporters, but the guy seems bulletproof.

His poll numbers have just consistently climbed while the amount of unacceptable, lowbrow remarks have poured out of him like an offensive waterfall. At one point he actually made a joking remark about how he could go out in the street, shoot and kill someone and his poll numbers would still continue to rise. At this point, I don’t think that’s far from the truth.
So, here’s my idea for putting a stop to all of this nonsense.

Let’s put an end to the apathy that led to the rise of this whole pickle we’re dealing with.

So instead of ignoring the problem anymore, I suggest we treat him like the actual, legitimate threat that he is.

Trump is not a joke or a meme you should share on Twitter anymore. He’s a sexist, racist, fear-mongering, know-nothing, misogynistic bully who has somehow fooled around 34 percent of Republican voters into supporting him by framing his ludicrous policies as a fight against “political correctness.”

He has benefitted from the public ignoring and underestimating him.

So, to take a page out of Marco Rubio’s book, let’s dispel once and for all this fiction that Donald Trump doesn’t know what he’s doing. He knows exactly what he’s doing.

Donald Trump is undertaking a systematic effort to change this country.

Contact the writer: joseph.evans2@scranton.edu