Men’s basketball seniors reflect on careers

Published: March 3, 2016

MICHAEL MAZZUCA

Brendan Boken, Marcus Thomas, Patrick Calvey and Brian Farrell.

These are the seniors about to lead The University’s men’s basketball program in a first-round matchup against Lynchburg in the Division III NCAA tournament.

And, regardless of the final score on Friday, this year’s seniors will join the list of Scranton alumni that include names such as Travis Farrell and Tommy Morgan (’12), Mike Barr and Mike Marchman (’13) and Justin Klingman and Ross Danzig (’14).
Today’s seniors remember what alumni taught them.

“Ross Danzig, Justin Klingman, Tommy Margan, Mike Marchman [are] guys that helped me develop into the senior I am today. I’m looking to pass certain lessons they taught me to the younger guys today,” Thomas said. “It’s really been a blessing to be able to play this game for four extra years. I’m going to be playing in my third NCAA tournament. That’s something kids just dream of.”

Guard Brian Farrell learned how to be a role player from Marchman. He also attributed his inclusive nature to spending time with Morgan.

Guard Calvey played alongside Danzig and Klingman at Abington Heights High School before transferring to The University.
“We really had a lot of fun together, but I would say their love and support was what meant the most to me and my teammates,” Calvey said. “They really set the way and continued on the tradition and handed the tradition on to us.”

Boken, The University’s second most all-time leading scorer, was recently named Landmark Conference Player of the Year. Boken credited his success to past and present teammates and Head Coach Carl Danzig.

Danzig has been in charge the past 14 years, establishing a tradition of success. In his tenure, the Royals have won the Landmark Championship eight times, including twice (2014, 2015) in the past four years.

The players respect his leadership, both as a basketball mind and personal mentor.

“He [Coach Danzig] wants everyone to understand their role. Within these roles, he believes we can be the most successful that we can be, and that puts us in the best position to win games,” Calvey said.

It took some time for Boken, Farrell, Thomas and Calvey to set their mark on the Scranton lineup.

Boken recorded only four points in his first game before blazing to 1,898 points.

Farrell and Thomas each played just a handful of games in their first year as Royals.

Calvey played one game as a first year student after transferring to The University in January.

Today, the senior quaternary stand together as co-captains.

They are members of the 2014 and 2015 Landmark Conference championship squads.

“I just remember running onto the court and emotions were running high and I just remember hugging everyone and being so happy. We reached our goal at the end of the year [in 2014] and we accomplished that,” Calvey said.

“We were really underrated [in 2015]. Catholic was supposed to win, but we beat them on their own home court,” Farrell recalled. “It was really cool to silence that crowd and come back on campus as the back-to-back Landmark Conference champions was a feeling unlike anything other that I’ve felt.”

This year, both the men’s and women’s basketball teams qualified for the NCAA Division III National Tournament.

The women cruised to a berth with their undefeated record including the Landmark Conference playoffs while the men’s squad barely managed to earn a tournament bid.

The captains are not quite ready to say goodbye, but cannot help but to feel thankful for their opportunity to don the purple and white.

These four Royals are ending their collegiate careers, but their link is chained to the memories of family and friends made on and off the court at The University.

Contact the writer: michael.mazzuca@scranton.edu