40 Days Later : Student reflects on adapting to Scranton life

Published: March 10, 2016

JIMENA PACHELI

SUBMITTED PHOTO /  JIMENA PACHELI / INTERNATIONAL STUDENT from Mexico, Jimena Pacheli, is adjusting to her time in Scranton and at The University by cooking for friends and exploring the downtown area.

SUBMITTED PHOTO / JIMENA PACHELI / INTERNATIONAL STUDENT from Mexico, Jimena Pacheli, is adjusting to her time in Scranton and at The University by cooking for friends and exploring the downtown area.

“Remember, Father Sivalon, a student is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.” This is what I said to my religion and society professor after I arrived almost ten minutes late to class.

Although I was rather disappointed to hear that he had not gotten my “Lord of the Rings” reference, we all had a good laugh.

After 40 days, I feel like I have easily adapted myself to my new lifestyle in an American college. I can make my way through campus without getting lost, I can order my meals at DeNaples´ first floor, I do my laundry and I can board the Saturday Night Special to Walmart every Saturday.

I still have trouble with writing essays, but I have concluded that I will survive them. I am more powerful than those essays.

However, as happy as I feel enjoying pizza and mozzarella cheese sticks from Granteed´s every weekend, I miss my Mexican food. So, because I miss it, I decided I would cook some home-made Mexican tacos for the guy I´m dating and his friends. Mexican night on Wednesday, yay!

Despite me longing for or missing any Mexican food from home, or experiencing any kind of homesickness, I enjoy the time I spend with my friends at The University. I recently had a books and friends day at the Steamtown Mall. As a book lover, I will never be able to express the happiness I felt when I got five books for $8. Just walking and enjoying that time with people who have become dear to me is enough to make me feel as if I was at home.

Contact the writer: jimena.pachecoelizondo@scranton.edu