Campus Ministries introduces serene alternative to Parade Day

Published: March 10, 2016

SARA MYERS

As Parade Day approaches, some students look forward to the excitement of the weekend, while others search for ways to get away from campus. Campus Ministries will offer one such alternatives to students at Chapman Lake.

Shamrock the Dock, which is free to students, will take place at the Retreat Center at Chapman Lake from Friday evening to Sunday morning.

Among the various activities that will be offered are a Shamrock Hunt, Lip Sync Battle and Karaoke, movies and games.

Students will also be able to make their own shamrock shakes, make their own waffles, and have quiet study spaces.

For basketball fans, if the Women’s Basketball Team hosts the NCAA Tournament game on Saturday, transportation to and from campus to watch the game will also be provided.

Campus Ministries sees this as an opportunity to spend time with students at the lake in a relaxed setting and to thank them for their support, explains head of Campus Ministries Helen Wolf. She describes it as a chance to have fun and celebrate St. Patrick’s Day away from campus.

“It’s not a retreat, it’s not an academic experience, it’s just an opportunity to use the lake in a fun way and to celebrate the life of a saint who is very important to many people, especially here in the United States,” Wolf said.

Students who plan on attending had various reasons to do so. Some students hoped to have a relaxing weekend while avoiding the excitement of Parade Day.

Other students, like sophomore Exercise Science major Luis Melgar, found the event unique and looked to get more involved with things on campus.

“It’s just something a little different to get people together; the event seemed kind of interesting,” Melgar said. “I’m also a commuter, so I try to get involved as much as I can.”

Similarly, sophomore Julia Vitiello sees Shamrock the Dock as an opportunity to experience what it is like to spend time at the lake house.

“I am choosing to attend because I have always wanted to attend a retreat, and since I do not really participate in Parade Day Activities, and my schedule next week is not too crazy, I thought that I should take advantage of the opportunity,” said Vitiello.

Regardless of why students choose to attend, Campus Ministries has planned activities to allow students to unwind from the stresses of the semester, as well as plenty of downtime to form new bonds and build new friendships.

Contact the writer: sara.myers@scranton.edu