First-year spotlight: Matt Haemmerle

Published: March 10, 2016

AQUINAS PHOTO /  ANDREW MILLER FIRST-YEAR attackman Matt Haemmerle gets ready for play to resume during the Royals’ 9-4 win Friday against the State University of New York at Potsdam at Fitzpatrick Field. Haemmerle, who is the all-time goal scorer in Bergen Catholic High School history, has made an immediate impact on the Royals. In four games this year, Haemmerle already has seven goals.

AQUINAS PHOTO / ANDREW MILLER / FIRST-YEAR attackman Matt Haemmerle gets ready for play to resume during the Royals’ 9-4 win Friday against the State University of New York at Potsdam at Fitzpatrick Field. Haemmerle, who is the all-time goal scorer in Bergen Catholic High School history, has made an immediate impact on the Royals. In four games this year, Haemmerle already has seven goals.

MATT MCGOVERN

Matt Haemmerle is a first-year lacrosse player for the Royals. He plays as an attacker. He went to Bergen Catholic High School in Oradell, New Jersey, where he is the all- time leading scorer for the Crusaders.

Let’s get to know No. 22 on the Royals and how he plans to transition from the high school level to the college level.

Q: What does it mean to you to have your high school’s all time record in scoring?

A: Being the all-time goal-scorer in history at Bergen Catholic is one of my proudest moments in my life.

With my dad being the head coach, I got to see and watch some great players ending up at top Division I programs and to be among the top of those names is an incredible feeling.

Q: When did you start playing lacrosse?

A: I started playing for Pascack Junior Lacrosse in first grade.

Q: Who do you credit as your greatest mentor throughout the years?

A: My greatest mentor has to be my dad. I was lucky enough to have him as my coach from summer lacrosse in third grade and eventually played for him at the high school level.

Q: Is there a certain player you have looked up to at the college level or the professional level?

A: I usually looked up to high school kids while I was growing up because I was around them at every game and practice when my dad coached them: two of them being Sean McGuire who played at Maryland and Providence along with Keith Switzer who played at St. John’s.

Q: When did you realize you could play lacrosse at the college level?

A: I always knew that I wanted to play in college, and knew around my summer eighth grade going into ninth that I would be able to have a chance, when kids on my summer team were starting to get looked at.

Q: Why did you decide to come play at The University?

A: I decided to come to Scranton because I have known Coach Sage for a few years and believe he is helping the team get to the next level to compete longer and longer each year.

Q: What are your personal goals for your first season at The University?

A: My personal goal is to play and contribute positively every game to hopefully give us the best chance to come out on top, which is the ultimate goal every game with our team.

Q: Finally, what are your expectations for the team overall this season?

A: Our goal this year is pretty straight forward, and a lot of teams probably have the same, and that is to win the Landmark championship. As a team we have two things that you will hear in our locker room.

The first is one goal, which means go out and make the next play if you make a mistake and just try to win the next play, and second is #OFS which means: Opportunity for Success and we want to capitalize on every OFS that we can.

Contact the writer: matthew.mcgovern@scranton.edu