Wacky World of the 2016 Election

Published: March 10, 2016

Photo courtesy of wikimedia commons WHILE OFTEN viewed as mere comedy, the path to the 2016 Presidential Election is rapidly shaping up. The GOP’s next debate is this Thursday and will feature Donald Trump.

PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS / WHILE OFTEN viewed as mere comedy, the path to the 2016 Presidential Election is rapidly shaping up. The GOP’s next debate is this Thursday and will feature Donald Trump.

JOE EVANS

If one watched this past week’s Democratic and Republican debates, they would have noticed a drastic difference in tone.

The Democratic debate on Sunday was basically a bastion of measured, stately, issue-driven debate when compared to the three-ring circus that was the GOP debate.

In a predictable, Donald Trump-like fashion, last Thursday’s Republican debate only took mere minutes to descend into madness.

After kicking it all off with Trump’s “subtile” assurance of his “manhood”, “Lil Marco” and “Lyin’ Cruz” took turns exchanging insults with Trump while John Kasich was the lone voice of reason begging for peace.

After the Republican debate, I saw people going two separate ways of digesting what they watched. It was either disgust and disenchantment with this election cycle, swearing off watching any more debates due to shouting over one another, or a promise to keep watching the Republican debates due to their comedic value.

I fall somewhere between the two. While I know that the political repercussions of the lack of civility and substantive debate are problematic, I must admit I find the whole thing hysterical.

Politics has always been interesting to me. I never really needed more drama or intrigue than there already was to enjoy an election cycle. This 2016 cycle, however, is absolutely bonkers. I’ve never seen anything like this and I kind of hope I never will again.

The sad fact is that the Republican debates are like that train wreck you just can’t look away from. Except the train wreck is between three trains going full speed slamming into one another heads on.

And all three trains are on fire. And filled with fireworks.

While I can acknowledge the Democratic debate as more substantive, it was nowhere near as fun.

I enjoyed watching the GOP candidates throwing barbs about hand size and yoga almost too much to describe in words, and I must admit that worries me.

I feel like I’m being spoiled by this election cycle.

Twenty-sixteen has been so unique, so incompatible to other cycles that I worry about the future.

Will I be this interested in another cycle again once all this craziness calms down?

Will all of this madness, hurling of insults and bickering become the norm in American politics?

If it stays this way, who will oppose President Trump for his second term in the Trump House? (He would have renamed the building already, obviously).

I can’t help but worry about the state of American politics, but I must say I have never had so much fun.

While other people may be bailing from that head on train collision, I’m buckled in wearing my flame retardant suit lighting some Roman candles and I’ve never been happier.

Contact the writer: joseph.evans2@scranton.edu