Campus Comment: How do you feel about the combined spring and Easter break?

Published: March 17, 2016

Nicholas Fabiano  Junior Bridgewater, New Jersey “Personally I really preferred having two different breaks because it was nice to have one break and then one or two more weeks of class and then being able to go home right after that. Personally, I just like being home more than most people do so it provides a really nice break for me.”

Nicholas Fabiano
Junior
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Personally I really preferred having two different breaks because it was nice to have one break and then one or two more weeks of class and then being able to go home right after that. Personally, I just like being home more than most people do so it provides a really nice break for me.”

Colleen Faede  Junior  North Plainfield, New Jersey “I don’t like having one break because then all of April we don’t have any break and you have one break and that’s it. Then you’re in school forever and it just drags on.”

Colleen Faede
Junior
North Plainfield, New Jersey
“I don’t like having one break because then all of April we don’t have any break and you have one break and that’s it. Then you’re in school forever and it just drags on.”

Michael Labella Junior  Collegeville “I personally think it would be a great idea if you gave us two weeks off instead of one.”

Michael Labella
Junior
Collegeville
“I personally think it would be a great idea if you gave us two weeks off instead of one.”

Jessica Papi  Senior Pittston “I liked having two breaks instead of one break.”

Jessica Papi
Senior
Pittston
“I liked having two breaks instead of one break.”

Katie Henkel Senior  Stamford, Connecticut  “I would definitely prefer having two breaks instead of just one - first off because it’s so late in the semester, because Easter is so late in the semester, so we don’t have a break from February until now … We also don’t have another break after that, so that really stinks.”

Katie Henkel
Senior
Stamford, Connecticut
“I would definitely prefer having two breaks instead of just one – first off because it’s so late in the semester, because Easter is so late in the semester, so we don’t have a break from February until now … We also don’t have another break after that, so that really stinks.”

Emily Carlin  Senior Yardley “I like one break better than two because it’s easier to go home once and have a more extended time period to relax and hang out with your family or friends from home.”

Emily Carlin
Senior
Yardley
“I like one break better than two because it’s easier to go home once and have a more extended time period to relax and hang out with your family or friends from home.”

Andrew Reidlinger  Senior Staten Island, New York “I think one break is more convenient for family and friends like traveling and getting home and spending time in one place.  “Why not two breaks? Well one of the reasons is, if you did that we wouldn’t have enough meeting time without moving into June and I think most students would find of the two evils, so to speak, that would cause more harm to students who truly need to work or be in the internship mode or whatever else students have going on in their lives. It would also cut down on the opportunity to accelerate studies over the summer, which some students choose to do.  “By ending so much later … not only our summer would have to be shaved down in order to start our fall semester on time, but if students were interested in pursuing a course or two at another school, I can almost guarantee you we’d bypass their start dates. We would be still in session with spring when other schools’ summer started. “So lots of different factors not the least of which there’s also one other little wrinkle here, if you aren’t careful when you look at these calendars, every year is a little different. By the slide of what day is Jan first in turn when can intercession and spring start, in that whole slide you also have to be careful if you break up too many breaks in spring, and we do have a sizeable break this spring (be)cause it’s combined.

Andrew Reidlinger
Senior
Staten Island, New York
“I think one break is more convenient for family and friends like traveling and getting home and spending time in one place.
“Why not two breaks? Well one of the reasons is, if you did that we wouldn’t have enough meeting time without moving into June and I think most students would find of the two evils, so to speak, that would cause more harm to students who truly need to work or be in the internship mode or whatever else students have going on in their lives. It would also cut down on the opportunity to accelerate studies over the summer, which some students choose to do.
“By ending so much later … not only our summer would have to be shaved down in order to start our fall semester on time, but if students were interested in pursuing a course or two at another school, I can almost guarantee you we’d bypass their start dates. We would be still in session with spring when other schools’ summer started.
“So lots of different factors not the least of which there’s also one other little wrinkle here, if you aren’t careful when you look at these calendars, every year is a little different. By the slide of what day is Jan first in turn when can intercession and spring start, in that whole slide you also have to be careful if you break up too many breaks in spring, and we do have a sizeable break this spring (be)cause it’s combined. “We try very carefully to make sure Easter itself is at either the beginning or end so if students are going on service trips or some kind of learning experience, they still have an opportunity if they wish to spend Easter with their family either at the beginning of that or end of that. But if you chop up too many things in spring, what would have happened in this spring if there were separate breaks, if you aren’t careful you’re coming into the spring term, you’re stopping for one break, you’re gone a week or so, you’d be back in class again and then having to stop again, so learning-teaching continuum gets hiccupped.”