54 Days Later: Student reflects on spring break and Brussels attack

Published: March 24, 2016

JIMENA PACHELI

I don´t think I was the only one who desperately needed spring break to arrive. I am thoroughly enjoying the days off, waking up late, eating healthier, and all the things that I don´t usually do because of the heavy load of work during the semester. Days have been quiet and full of reading and Netflix. I could never ask for more.

To complete the nearly perfect week, there´s a trip to Philadelphia coming up. Are two nights and three days enough to figure out this city? I have never been there, but the people who have say that it´s beautiful. Soon enough I shall be able to judge it myself. I am truly looking forward to visiting all the historic sites, museums, and parks in Philadelphia. Also, I can´t wait to try what they call a “Philly cheese steak” and possibly visit Edgar Allan Poe´s house. Yes, I am a true lover and admirer of his work. Philadelphia, you better be ready because here I come.

I can only wish the world was a happy place all the time, that there was no evil to harm us. However, sometimes the world becomes so loud that it will not allow you to focus or just get away from everything. Whilst sitting in front of my laptop and trying to focus on writing, my roommate is listening to the news about the terrorist attacks in Brussels. I have read enough about the tragedy to be updated with what is happening, but I don´t feel the imperious need to keep up with every single thing they say in the news. The attack, which was not only aimed at Brussels, but all of humanity, brings too much pain when I think about it. Even with earphones and loud music on, my anguish, heartache, and solidarity still go out to all the people who have been affected by this terrible situation.

However, I cannot allow myself to dwell too much on it and sink into a hopeless state of dejection. As a Tolkien fan, I found myself thinking about one of Gandalf´s quotes in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey movie: “I´ve found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love.” Time will keep going and we have to keep going with it. With every sunrise we´ll get a chance to start again and make life and the world a brighter place.

Contact the writer: jimena.pachecoelizondo@scranton.edu