68 Days Later : Student reflects on life in Scranton

Published: April 7, 2016

JIMENA PACHELI

After two months, Scranton does not cease to surprise me.

Last Friday while walking around the town square, waiting to get a place in Osaka, I discovered that Jason Miller´s bust and

SUBMITTED PHOTO: JIMENA PACHELI / UNIVERSITY STUDENT Jimena Pacheli from Mexico City is enjoying exploring Scranton as she reflects on her time during this last month of the semester.

SUBMITTED PHOTO / JIMENA PACHELI / UNIVERSITY STUDENT Jimena Pacheli from Mexico City is enjoying exploring Scranton as she reflects on her time during this last month of the semester.

ashes are right there.

Jason Miller played Father Damien Karras in “The Exorcist,” my favorite horror movie.

It only took me a little bit of research to find that Miller was the artistic director of the Scranton Public Theatre until 2001, when he passed away due to heart failure.

As a horror fan, this finding completely flabbergasted me.

Of all the places in the world, Jason Miller winner of a Pulitzer Prize for his play “The Championship Season,” spent a long part of his life in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

This added to the list of things that make me proud to be a student at The University.

Beyond my touristic experiences around town, I am beginning to feel the stress of the upcoming end of the semester.

Even though we just got back from spring break, it feels as if all the work, essays, study sessions and books to read are piling up on my desk.

The best advice I tell myself: It will pass… Unless it’s a balrog, of course. If it’s a balrog, it will not pass.

Speaking about “The Lord of the Rings,” I managed to download the extended trilogy to my laptop. This means I could potentially end up watching these films all the time for the rest of the semester. If I disappear, I beg you all not to be alarmed, I will probably be in a “Lord of the Rings” coma.

By telling myself I can actually do this, surrounding myself with really nice friends and professors, as well as thinking about the coming weekend, which will bring a trip to Washington D.C. and more adventures around America, I can do this. For now, let’s keep taking it one day at a time…

Contact the writer: jimena.pachecoelizondo@scranton.edu