75 Days Later : Student reflects on trip to DC

Published: April 14, 2016

JIMENA PACHELI

Thirty hours will never be enough to properly appreciate the beautiful capital of the United States of America: Washington D.C.

When you have such little time, it is imperative to make the best use of your organization skills to plan a way to visit the most important spots. That is what I did, and in the company of two Swedish girls, I walked around the beautiful District of Columbia.

The first day, given the changing weather and impending chance of rain, we stayed around the Smithsonian museums area and went into the National Air and Space Museum. For a couple of hours we were enveloped by a vast collection of airplanes and spaceships.

It was very interesting to look at the exhibitions of aviation during the World Wars I and II. Also, there was a piece of the moon, which the public was allowed to touch, and I did touch it!

Did you know the moon is not made of cheese? I love cheese and I still had high hopes there might be some of it up there.
During the evening, we took a bus to Georgetown University, where we visited an old acquaintance of mine, a friend I know from Mexico City.

I never expected the place to be so beautiful. We walked around and visited the Potomac River.

The calmness and tranquility of the place gave a sensation of coziness that made me want to live there forever. After dinner at an Italian restaurant, my friend took us to the stairs from “The Exorcist” on Prospect and M Street. I bet you can imagine my excitement!

While walking down the stairs I actually felt a chill running down my spine, it was such an eerie yet incredible experience!
It was very nice to meet this person whom I appreciate a lot, but after a long walk through the lovely neighborhoods of Washington D.C. we had to head back for the hotel and get ready for our last day there.

During Sunday we visited the Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Veteran’s War Memorial, the Washington Monument, the White House, and the World War II Memorial.

All these things full of history only confirmed that place is indeed beautiful. It would be so nice to live there and be able to go out for a run around the Smithsonian Institution, or the Washington Monument and those memorials.

There still are many things to visit. I would love to go back and visit more of the museums, as well as Arlington National Cemetery.

There is still so much history to learn and explore, and I will be very happy if I get the chance to visit America’s capital again.

Contact the writer: jimena.pachecoelizondo@scranton.edu