Athlete Spotlight: Christine Kiefer

Published: April 14, 2016

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS JUNIOR OUTFIELDER Christine Kiefer fields a ball during the softball team’s series split with King’s College on April 6. Kiefer was recently named The University’s Athlete of the Week, after going 3-3 at bat, with three runs in a series split against King’s. The sofbtall team currently has a record of 8-10, including a conference record of 0-4.

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS / JUNIOR OUTFIELDER Christine Kiefer fields a ball during the softball team’s series split with King’s College on April 6. Kiefer was recently named The University’s Athlete of the Week, after going 3-3 at bat, with three runs in a series split against King’s. The sofbtall team currently has a record of 8-10, including a conference record of 0-4.

KATHERINE MCVEAGH

Junior outfielder Christine Kiefer led the softball team to an 8-0 victory over King’s College on April 6, allowing her to be named University of Scranton Athlete of the Week.

Kiefer went 3-for-3 at the plate, scoring three runs and three RBIs on the three-run home run in the third inning. In her first at-bat of the game, Kiefer hit a double, allowing her to then score the first run of the game.

Let’s learn some more about the hard-hitting outfielder:

Q: When did you start playing softball?
A: When I was four or five.

Q: Did you play other sports or was softball your main sport?
A: I played soccer and tennis in high school as well.

Q: When did you consider playing collegiate softball?
A: I always sort of had the thought in the back of my mind when I was in high school, but started really looking into it in 10th and 11th grade.

Q: What has been your best experience/most memorable moment playing softball?
A: Probably, becoming friends with my teammates. You spend so much time with them, you become inseparable and [they’re] basically like your family.

Q: Who has been the most influential in your softball career?
A: Probably my dad and my high school softball coach, as of right now.

Q: Do you prefer to eat a certain pre-game snack or meal?
A: Krave cereal or Goldfish.

Q: What is your favorite pump-up song?
A: “Can’t Stop” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Q: Do you have any superstitions?
A: When I step out of the box, I have to swing two times before I get back in.
Kiefer leads the softball team in batting average this season, at .397, and has scored 15 runs. She is currently on a 15-game hitting streak, reaching base in 17 of The University’s 19 games this season.

While such a long streak might constantly be on one’s mind, Kiefer prefers not to focus on it.

“I try not to think about the hitting streak. I really try to avoid it. My dad told me about it, and I was like, ‘no I don’t want to think about it.’ I’d rather not know,” Kiefer said.

Kiefer’s streak will be tested once again, as the softball team hosts Juniata College at the Jessup Youth Sports Complex. The doubleheader will begin at 1 p.m. on Saturday.

Contact the writer: katherine.mcveagh@scranton.edu

One Response to Athlete Spotlight: Christine Kiefer

1. Corinna M. Montanez Reply

May 23, 2016 at 10:37 am

I liked Christine Kiefer. She is my idol. Thanks for your post.