Field hockey members receive academic awards

Published: April 14, 2016

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS THE FIELD hockey team celebrates after a victory. Senior Bryn Frankhouser and first-year Katherine McVeagh of the field hockey team received the Scholar of Distinction award for academic excellence.

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS / THE FIELD hockey team celebrates after a victory. Senior Bryn Frankhouser and first-year Katherine McVeagh of the field hockey team received the Scholar of Distinction award for academic excellence.

RYAN DISDIER
Sports Editor

Two members of The University’s field hockey team were awarded the 2015 Field Hockey/National Field Hockey Coaches Association Division III Scholar of Distinction award for academic excellence.

Senior Bryn Frankhouser and first-year Katherine McVeagh earned the award for compiling a grade point average of 3.9 or higher for the fall semester.

Frankhouser, an occupational therapy major, said the honor is a significant one, especially as a senior reflecting on her four years of school and athletics.

“It means a lot because over the past three years, I’ve been working really hard to keep my grades up, as well as stay very involved with the field hockey team,” Frankhouser said. “I couldn’t have done this without the support of my teammates and coaches.”

Frankhouser was named to the Landmark Conference Honor Roll three times (’13, ’14, ’15). Although she was able to maintain a highly impressive GPA, Frankhouser said it did not come sans hardships.

Frankhouser

Frankhouser

-“The most difficult thing was probably during my first year when I had to figure out how to manage going to class along with having a lot of practices during the week,” Frankhouser said. “It was tough, but it helped me improve each year.”

From a senior’s perspective to a first-year’s, McVeagh, a strategic communication major, said her drive to succeed at the collegiate level helped fuel her remarkable success.

“Coming into college, I wasn’t exactly sure how GPAs were going to translate from high school. I did very well in high school, but I really wanted to continue to do well academically in college,” McVeagh said. “Now, I sort of set the bar pretty high for myself, and I’m a little stressed out, but I understand a GPA is just a number, and it’s more about the work you put in.”

McVeagh

McVeagh

McVeagh is able to use the work she puts in off the field and channel that focus when she is playing in games.

“I think the off-field work translates a lot to playing a sport,” McVeagh said. “I think I’m able to switch the focus from academics to athletics, but the level of focus remains the same.”

Contact the writer: ryan.disdier@scranton.edu