Athlete spotlight: Senior Nicholas Swift

Published: April 21, 2016

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS SENIOR MIDFIELDER Nicholas Swift looks for an opportunity to score in the men’s lacrosse team’s game against Muhlenberg College last year. In the Royals’ most recent game Saturday , Swift scored four goals in a 20-5 win against Merchant Marine Academy.

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS / SENIOR MIDFIELDER Nicholas Swift looks for an opportunity to score in the men’s lacrosse team’s game against Muhlenberg College last year. In the Royals’ most recent game Saturday , Swift scored four goals in a 20-5 win against Merchant Marine Academy.

JILL WALL

Senior midfielder Nicholas Swift completed an impressive game Saturday for The University’s men’s lacrosse team.

Swift helped his team defeat Merchant Marine in a remarkable 20-5 victory. He tallied a total of four points and two assists for the Royals, and had a shooting percentage of 100 percent.

His impressive performance has brought him into the athlete spotlight this week as he celebrates the team’s victory and continues to prepare for upcoming games.

Let’s take a closer look at the standout player and his lacrosse journey at The University.

Q: When did you first start playing lacrosse?

A: I began playing lacrosse in fifth grade, and at first it was because most of my friends played it and I thought it would be fun to try something new. I could have never imagined that it would be a part of my life this far down the road — I had played baseball pretty much my whole life up to that point but I fell in love with lacrosse shortly after that.

Q: How have you developed as a player over your four years of playing lacrosse at The University?

A: I have changed as a player a lot over the past four years. We have a very good strength and conditioning program run by the coaches throughout the year and especially in the summer when you don’t have that extra motivation from teammates and others to push yourself. On the field I have been able to work on different aspects on my game whether it be time and room shooting or trying to develop an off hand to make myself the best player that I can be.

Q: What is your proudest accomplishment in your lacrosse career at The University?

A: I would have to say scoring the game winning goal against Goucher last year at home. It was a huge game for us that was back and forth the whole game and it was awesome to score that goal off of a great pass from then senior Anthony Lombardo.

Although this was an exciting accomplishment to cap off a great game, I hope a Landmark Conference championship will supplant that accomplishment as my proudest moment later this year.

Q: How did it feel to score a career-high four goals in the game against Merchant Marine?

A: It felt awesome to score those goals against Merchant Marine but I wouldn’t have been able to do it without my teammates.

A couple were off great feeds from Nick Mullery and Jake Haimson, so I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. It felt like everything I shot was going to go in that game, and that’s the mentality that you need to have as a shooter.

Q: You have more goals this season than the first three years of your college career combined, what do you feel explains this accomplishment?

A: I feel that this accomplishment can only be explained by persistence. Not everything is going to go your way whether it be on the field in lacrosse or in life, but you need to keep plugging away and know that your hard work will eventually pay off.

Q: Who has been your biggest role model or mentor for you throughout your lacrosse career?

A: I don’t know that I’ve had a mentor throughout my lacrosse career but with regards to a role model someone that I have always looked up to was Paul Rabil. He is a professional lacrosse player that used to play at Johns Hopkins and I used to watch endless highlights of him when I was in high school. If I could pick up anything from his game that I could translate to mine that would be a huge bonus. He keeps himself out of trouble off the field as well which made someone like him easy to emulate. I would also like to mention my mother Susan for coming to countless tournaments with me all over the place and for always being by my side.

Q: What does playing in your last ever season here at The University mean to you?

A: It means a lot to me. Toward the end of the season here we have especially talked about how our games are numbered and that we shouldn’t leave anything up in the air or any stone unturned.

We need to go 110 percent with everything we do from here on out because we don’t want to be saying what if like we have in years past. The group of guys that we have is special and I’m excited to see us reach our full potential as the season begins to wind down and the playoff atmosphere gains momentum.

Q: What will you miss most about playing lacrosse at The University?

A: Mostly I will miss playing with this group of seniors along with the team camaraderie that we have built up over the years.

It really is sad to think that there is a number on how many games we have left here and after that I won’t be able to play competitively with those same guys again. Lacrosse has allowed me to build numerous relationships that I will have for the rest of my life and although practice may not be the most fun sometimes, suiting up with the rest of my team on game day is something that I know I will miss.

Q: What would you like to accomplish before your lacrosse career at The University ends?

A: This one is easy, the one thing that I would like to accomplish is bringing back the Landmark Conference championship to Scranton.

Contact the writer: jillian.wall@scranton.edu