Athlete Spotlight: Meghan Kerr

Published: April 28, 2016

AQUINAS PHOTO \ JESSIE KOERNER JUNIOR MIDFIELDER Meghan Kerr looks for an offensive opportunity during the women’s lacrosse team’s 17-11 victory against  Cabrini College Tuesday at Fitzpatrick Field. Kerr, who has established herself as a key offensive kog, recently scored her 100th career goal.

AQUINAS PHOTO / JESSIE KOERNER / JUNIOR MIDFIELDER Meghan Kerr looks for an offensive opportunity during the women’s lacrosse team’s 17-11 victory against Cabrini College Tuesday at Fitzpatrick Field. Kerr, who has established herself as a key offensive kog, recently scored her 100th career goal.

MATTHEW MCGOVERN

This week’s athlete of the week is a member of the women’s lacrosse team. The Royals are currently 9-5 and on a three-game winning streak.

Junior midfielder Meghan Kerr has been a significant contributor for her team.

She leads her team in goals and assists at this point in the season.

Since her first year on the team, Kerr has established herself as a prolific scorer.

Kerr, from Warwick, New Jersey, scored her 100th career goal for The University during the team’s April 20 20-9 victory over Drew University.

Kerr has 48 goals on the season to go along with 23 assists.

Scoring is not something that is new for Kerr. Over the past two years, she has led the women’s lacrosse team in scoring. She is the first player to lead the team in scoring in back-to-back years since Caroline Pryor did in 2010 and 2011.

Kerr is the lone junior captain.

Let’s get to know more about the junior midfielder.

Q: When did you start playing lacrosse?

A: I started playing girls’ lacrosse in fifth grade, but we’ve always had lacrosse sticks around my house since I was little.

Q: Who is your lacrosse role model/mentor?

A: My dad has been my biggest role model and mentor on and off the field ever since I started. He has coached me on the sidelines and in the bleachers and never misses a game. He’s helped make me the player I am.

Q: What is your favorite memory in all of your years playing lacrosse?

A: My favorite memory of lacrosse was making my 200th goal at my high school. It was the first time anyone ever did that, and the team we were playing against was so supportive and kind about it, it made the day even better.

Q: What are your expectations for the remainder of the season?

A: I am hoping we win our next few games and have a successful post-season!

Q: What does it mean to you to be the leader on the team in goals?

A: I score when I can and am happy when other people contribute too.

Q: What does it say about your teammates?

A: Our team works well together, and we set each other up for success.

The women’s lacrosse team plays their final game 1 p.m. Saturday at Catholic University.

Contact the writer: matthew.mcgovern@scranton.edu