Review: Primanti Bros.

Published: April 28, 2016

EMMA SILVA
Arts and Life Co-Editor

On March 10, the Pittsburgh-based chain restaurant Primanti Bros. opened in Dickson City. I was immediately intrigued by

PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS / PRIMANTI BROS. opened March 10 in Dickson City. The Pittsburgh-based restaurant, which began in 1933, specializes in sandwiches. The classic sandwiches are known to consist of Italian bread, sweet and sour vinegar coleslaw, tomato slices, hand-cut french fries, melted provolone cheese and a choice of meat.

Primanti’s when a friend suggested, or perhaps more fittingly, ordered, that I try it after it opened.

Primanti’s, started in 1933, is known for its one-of-a-kind sandwiches.

When my friend gave me the recommendation, he noted that the sandwiches actually contained french fries inside of them. Not surprisingly, I felt no need for further convincing.

Along with a few friends on a Sunday afternoon, I finally got to try Primanti’s and was far from disappointed.

I had been warned to abstain from eating in advance, so that I could save room for all the food that was coming my way. We ordered root beer floats, onion rings, queso dip and several unique sandwiches. It was so, so bad, but also so, so good.

Primanti’s sandwiches are like no other sandwich I’ve had before. Each classic sandwich consists of Italian bread, tomato slices, sweet and sour vinegar coleslaw, fresh-cut french fries, melted provolone cheese and your choice of meat. If that’s not enough to make your mouth water, then I don’t know what will.

The restaurant offers a variety of sandwiches, but some of the selections include pastrami and cheese, ham and cheese, roast beef and cheese, turkey breast and cheese and bacon, egg and cheese. And that’s just to name a few.

If you are feeling particularly ambitious and hungry, they also offer a “big brother” sandwich, which is essentially a deluxe size.

If you are a sandwich lover like I am or just a general food lover, I highly recommend you try Primanti Bros. You won’t be disappointed.

Contact the writer: emma.silva@scranton.edu