96 Days Later: Exchange student on semester’s end

Published: May 5, 2016

JIMENA PACHELI

Do you ever lie down and relish in the calmness of the night? Tonight is one of those nights in which the stars sing and I lie on blue sheets, constantly staring at my laptop’s clock, waiting for my birthday. 29 minutes.

It’’s like taking a big breath before facing the hectic days that will make up the remaining days of the week.

Editing a video package, writing a review for the documentary “Citizenfour,” revising for a test, writing my final paper, covering a refugee event for a final project and writing the draft of yet another final paper are parts of the endless list of activities that will happen in my life during the remaining days of this week.

I have no doubt I can do it, so bravely and with a bit of sleep, I’ll go through this.

Although not everything will be studying and burning my eyelashes while staring at my laptop´s screen. An amazing birthday with friends and sushi dinner at Osaka will happen very soon! On Thursday, although I’m not a big fan of superheroes, I’ll be watching Captain America: Civil War, and on Saturday I´ll probably relax and have fun during The University’s SpringFest. I’m so excited about it, for I’ve only heard good things about it.

It is interesting to see how all these small happenings form part of our major scheme of life and how it all seems to affect not only ourselves, but others as well. We truly cannot exist alone, but we exist by the side of others and that’s what makes the world go round. “I´ve found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.

Simple acts of kindness and love,” said Gandalf in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, and that is a beautiful thought.

I must admit that I would’ve loved to spend my birthday watching one of my favorite movies. If I should be specific, I’d say Rango. However, being almost 22 years old has taught that not all things in life are possible and that lying on blue sheets and writing your column while listening to really nice music on 8-tracks has its own beautiful charm. Six minutes left until midnight… Until the next one, Royals. Birthday writer over and out.

Contact the writer: jimena.pachecoelizondo@scranton.edu