Athlete Spotlight: Michael Ratner

Published: May 5, 2016

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS SOPHOMORE INFIELDER Michael Ratner swings for the fences during the baseball team’s 20-0 win over Summit University April 28. Ratner singled, doubled, tripled, drove in four and scored twice during that game. Ratner projects to be a part of the future nucleus of the baseball team.

PHOTO COURTESY OF SCRANTON ATHLETICS / SOPHOMORE INFIELDER Michael Ratner swings for the fences during the baseball team’s 20-0 win over Summit University April 28. Ratner singled, doubled, tripled, drove in four and scored twice during that game. Ratner projects to be a part of the future nucleus of the baseball team.

LUKE KROPP
News Co-Editor

The 2016 season did not turn out the way The University’s baseball team would have liked, but they have a lot to look forward to for next year.

Sophomore infielder Michael Ratner is one of the many underclassmen returning to the diamond next year. He is a business administration major with a minor in coaching, he loves baseball and he is this week’s feature athlete.

Ratner hails from Langhorne, Pa. and graduated from the Pennington School, a preparatory school in New Jersey, where he played baseball for four years and earned Prep Player of the Year Honors in 2014.

Last week Ratner went 2-4 with two runs and four RBIs in Thursday’s slugfest against Summit, which shows he is a very promising athlete for the future of Royal baseball.

Q: When did you start playing baseball?

A: Ever since I can remember. Probably around five years old. T-ball and going up. Every single year of my life.

Q: What got you into baseball?

A: My dad. He actually passed away my sophomore year of high school, and he was my coach through every single sport that I played, but baseball was the one that we always played together. He coached me all through middle school and then up into high school. He was one of my biggest supporters and that got me into it.

Q: Who was your baseball role model?

A: Definitely my dad. That man is everything to me. Baseball and life, he’s definitely my role model for everything.
Q: What is your favorite baseball memory?

A: Last season, the playoff game against Catholic when Dan Hansen hit the walk-off home run, and I was on second base. Just seeing how excited everybody was; it was definitely one of my favorite baseball moments.

Q: Do you have any pregame warmup songs?

A: I listen to a lot of rap songs to try to get into the zone.

Q: Why did you choose to play at The University?

A: I had a couple different schools that I was looking at, and when I came up for my visit I talked to the coaches and they were the most for the team aspect, and I liked that. Obviously no spots were guaranteed, and I wanted to work for my spot. I definitely really liked the whole community aspect of the school; that really sold me.

Q: What do you want to improve on for the next two years?

A: What everybody wants to improve on is their consistency, whether it’s defensively or at the plate. Just stay consistent in all aspects of the game.

Q: What are your team goals for the next two years?

A: As a team, obviously this year was a little rough. We came up short and didn’t make the playoffs. For my class, our team has a goal to make the playoffs all four years, but the next best thing is three out of four years. If we can get to the playoffs three out of four years and hopefully win the Landmark, that’s our main goal.

Q: What are your individual goals?

A: Be the best teammate I can be on and off the field and do what I can to help the team win.

Contact the writer: luke.kropp@scranton.edu