Cruz bows out, clears path for Trump GOP nomination

Published: May 5, 2016

Photos courtesy of wikimedia commons SENATOR TED Cruz and Governor John Kasich both suspended their campaigns this week after losses in the Indiana primary to Donald J. Trump.  Cruz and Kasich were Trump’s biggest competitors in the race for the Republican nomination. Without them in the running, Trump all but confirmed his spot on the GOP ballot come July.

PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS / SENATOR TED Cruz and Governor John Kasich both suspended their campaigns this week after losses in the Indiana primary to Donald J. Trump. Cruz and Kasich were Trump’s biggest competitors in the race for the Republican nomination. Without them in the running, Trump all but confirmed his spot on the GOP ballot come July.

JOE EVANS

Here we are folks. The moment that none of us ever saw coming. Ted Cruz suspended his campaign Tuesday evening after another loss in another state primary.

Now, I get that the outlook here seems dim. With Trump’s win in Indiana, he closed in on the dreaded 1,237 delegates a candidate on the Republican side needs to secure the nomination.

Here’s the thing though, Cruz wasn’t there yet. As of the writing of this article, Trump has only 1047 delegates. That’s still about 200 short with about 520 delegates up for grabs.

Cruz has 565 delegates currently, with Kasich trailing in a far distant third with 153 delegates.

It was only last week when Cruz and Kasich announced a partnership to try and block Trump’s path to the nomination.
Now, all of that is over.

With Cruz dropping out, Trump can virtually steamroll unopposed on his way to claim his spot on the Republican ticket. Not that Trump wasn’t likely to roll through the rest of the state primaries anyway, but with Cruz out of the picture there’s now no doubt.

This is the part I can’t quite wrap my head around. Why would Cruz drop out now? He was the front runner for those, like me, who were convinced the GOP was searching for any non-Trump alternatives.

My personal theory, one I’ve been trumpeting and fervently defending even while Trump won state after state, was that the GOP establishment would try to do whatever was possible to block out Trump’s progress. Anything to keep him under the magic number of delegates.

As a reward for his pick-and-roll efforts to force the dreaded and much talked about contested convention, the establishment would reward Cruz by nominating him in July. Would it cause chaos? Probably. But would they have accomplished the goal of blocking off their worst orange nightmare? Yes, they absolutely would have.

I was absolutely convinced that Cruz would come out on top here. All he had to do was wait out the convention. I know Cruz isn’t the most popular candidate out there, being an irritating, unpopular political outsider himself, but he had to be a better choice than a Cheeto with a bad hairpiece, right?

Cruz even tried to cast as wide of a net as possible by selecting Carly Fiorina as his running mate, presumably selecting her in an attempt to win female voters.

However, no matter what choices Cruz ended up making, nothing seemed to get in the way of the raging hype train that Trump seems to be riding toward Cleveland, Ohio.

So where do we go from here? Good question, friends. I honestly have no idea.

I mean, the most obvious conclusion to come to would be that Trump will win the nomination and go against Hillary Clinton in the general election in September.

Now, while I’ve been pretty public with my distaste for both of these frontrunners, I’m shocked that it’s actually come down to this on the Republican side. The Democratic nomination, in my eyes, has been wrapped up for months now.

As fun of a pipe dream as Senator Bernie Sanders has been, the reality of the situation was written on the wall. Clinton and her superdelegates were always going to pull out the win here and she had the establishment at her back.

The Republican side, on the other hand, has basically been an industrial spin dryer of fun for everyone. We have seen candidates who have hurled insults back and forth like a Nerf football at a family BBQ, all while defending the size of their hands, ego and genitals.

All of this in mind, I never pictured that Trump would come out on the other side of this political nonsense with the nomination in hand, but here we are.

So, now, I suppose I should stick by my trend of Trump nomination denial, right? I mean, I’ve been arguing and tweeting about this since September of 2015, so I probably should have come up with a backup plan well before now but here we go.

Being that Kasich is the only candidate left in the race, I figure I should embrace my only non-Trump option. So what if he has only won one state? So what if it was his home state. So what if he only has 153 delegates compared to Trump’s 1,047?

I mean, it’s not too crazy when you look at it a certain way. Anything is possible after all. Kasich pulling out the win now looks just as likely as a racist, sexist, xenophobic, serial-lying sociopath with a bad spray tan being our president, right?
God I sure hope so.

Wait, What do you mean Kasich dropped out too? Well, this is rather troublesome.

I suppose this is what happens when you get yourself into the prediction business.

You win some, you lose plenty. Just like Cruz and Kasich did.

Contact the writer: joseph.evans2@scranton.edu