Athlete Spotlight: Brittany Cafiero

Jill Wall
Sports Co-Editor

Senior setter Brittany Cafiero helped The University’s women’s volleyball team clinch a hard-fought playoff spot with two important victories Friday against Elizabethtown College and Moravian College.
Cafiero tallied an impressive total of 57 assists and 17 digs between the two victories.
Cafiero now has 2,822 career assists, just two shy of tying for fourth place on The University’s all-time list.
Cafiero also boasts a notable 119 service aces, which ranks 17th on The University’s all-time list, and 759 career digs, which puts her at 20th.
Q: When did you first start playing volleyball?
A: I first started playing volleyball in 5th grade during a C.Y.O. (Catholic Youth Organization) clinic and have fallen in love with the sport ever since.

Q: What is your favorite part about volleyball?
A: My favorite part has to be the combination of team dynamic and competitiveness I share with my teammates. Nothing tops an intense game or practice where you give every ounce of energy you have left.

Q: Why did you choose to attend and play at The University of Scranton?
A: Don’t tell my parents, but I really just came because I wanted to be a part of this team.
It definitely was a perk that the University of Scranton had great health programs, but I truly could not pass up the opportunity to play here.

Q: Do you have any specific pre-match rituals or superstitions?
A: Before every practice and every game while me and my sister, Danielle Cafiero, are warming up we tell each other our goals for that specific day. It brings us into game/practice mode and helps us focus.

Q: Who do you consider to be your role model or greatest influence?
A: In the volleyball world, my greatest influence would have to be my high school coach Cathy Von Schoenermarck.
I have been playing at her volleyball camps since I was little and had the privilege to play for her in high school.
She has passed on her passion to my sister and I, and we have flourished because of it. She established a work ethic in me that I will carry on for the rest of my life and in all aspects of my life.
I can never repay her for the lessons she has taught me, nor does she even know how much of an influence she has had on me.

Q: What has been your greatest accomplishment so far?
A: I cannot pin-point an exact accomplishment. An accomplishment to me is when I make a mistake and fix it on the next play. An accomplishment to me is losing the first set and coming back by taking the next three. An accomplishment to me is seeing my teammate miss a serve, but then get an ace the next time they are up. An accomplishment to me isn’t the physical success of winning a game, but the long hard practices and lifting sessions we went through to aid us to that win; that is where the real success lies.