Meet the Jesuits: Rick Malloy, S.J.

Lauren McKeown

The Rev. Dr. Rick Malloy, S.J., is The University’s chaplain and a professor of sociology and cultural anthropology. Malloy is from Philadelphia, but moved to Scranton seven years ago to come to The University.

Malloy compared his job as The University chaplain to playing football, saying that he “kind of goes wherever the ball goes on campus” and attends to the needs of all people. On top of this, he also preaches at mass and listens to confessions.

“I try to be present a lot. I’m supposed to be a Jesuit presence here at a Jesuit University,” Malloy said. He continued by explaining what the Society of Jesus works toward.

“A Jesuit works for faith, justice and reconciliation. We believe that there is a God and that God is good and that God wants us to make a good world for one another. Jesuits want to call people to work together and realize we’re all in this together and we need to help one another,” Malloy said.

Malloy explained that he wanted to become a Jesuit after working at a nursing home when he was younger.

“It was working with those older people that really changed my life. It filled me with joy,” he said. He later spoke to a friend who was a Jesuit and decided to become a priest.

During his 12-year formation to become a Jesuit, he began pursuing a doctorate. He said that God has worked through his ability to finish his studies and work both here at The University and prior to here at Saint Joseph’s University, another Jesuit institution in Philadelphia, as well as write a few books.

“God works through me by helping me do what I’m trying to do,” said Malloy. “Early on, I had this real experience of God’s love … and it’s been the bedrock of my life. I believe there’s a God, I believe God loves us and I believe that I should go around and tell people that.”

The students make Malloy’s experience here at The University worthwhile. He enjoys attending events on campus to see how students use their talents.

“We hope that institutions like this are training young people to go out and make a better world for one another,” he said.
He said that if students ever see him around on campus, he wants them to say hi or start a conversation. He loves talking to students and loves when they strike up conversation.
“It’s the spur of the moment conversations that can have some impact on someone’s life or even on mine,” Malloy said, “You start off by saying, ‘how ya doing?’ and 20 minutes later its into some really good conversation, so I listen for God around here. I listen and try to see what God’s up to around here and try to cooperate with that.”