Vice provost offers casual chat with students

Lauren Gallagher

In order to further her interaction with the student body, Vice Provost for Student Formation and Campus Life Anitra McShea, Ph.D., met with University students in the DeNaples Center second floor lounge from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. for her Coffee and Conversation event on Wednesday.

The event was held for students to meet with her in a relaxed setting while enjoying warm coffee and treats. Students and faculty members stopped by to talk to her about anything from how their morning was going to their academics to their future goals and aspirations.

When asked about the event in an email interview, McShea touched on how Coffee and Conversation came about.

“The Coffee and Conversation opportunity was created as a way for me to engage with students regarding their student experience at The University of Scranton. It is an informal opportunity where students can informally speak with me about whatever is on their minds,” McShea explained.

She also explained how this is a great opportunity for students to speak with her about anything they would like without having to schedule a time to meet.

“This is an opportunity for me to interact and engage with students regarding their student experience without a formal agenda. In turn, I hope students understand that I am open to hearing about their perspectives, ideas, successes and challenges,” McShea said.

McShea enjoys engaging with students and hearing about why they love The University. She said she is also open to hearing about ways the students believe their experience could be even greater.

“As the Vice Provost for Student Formation & Campus Life, it is necessary for me to find various opportunities to engage with students and understand the student experience,” McShea said. “While I do engage with students in various ways already, this informal opportunity is another way for me to understand more of what students love about The University and what ideas they may have to make the student experience even stronger than it is now.”

If you would like to chat with McShea, be on the lookout for future Coffee and Conversation events, or sign up for office hours.