Athlete Spotlight: Kristin Kirwan

Katherine McVeagh

Sophomore standout Kristin Kirwan capped off another outstanding season on the court for The University’s volleyball team. After being named to the 2015 Landmark Conference first team as a first-year, Kirwan surely proved that the dreaded “sophomore slump” would not be an option this year.

She absolutely dominated the Landmark Conference, leading in kills (558), kills per set (4.07), points (612.5) and points per set (4.5). She was again recognized by the Landmark Conference for her accomplishments, being named to the Second Team.

From smashing kills to smashing records, Kirwan truly did it all this year. She broke both the University (448) and Landmark Conference (525) records for the most kills in a single season. She led the team to their seventh straight postseason appearance as well.

Q: “How long have you been playing volleyball?”
A: “8th grade I started travel.”
Q: “When did you know you wanted to play at the collegiate level?”
A: “I didn’t decide until mid-season my senior year actually.”
Q: “Who has been the biggest inspiration in your volleyball career?”
A: “I wouldn’t have been able to come this far without my parents constantly supporting me and coming to every single one of my games no matter how far they were. They’ve encouraged me since day one. I am also inspired by being a part of my high school team because it made me into a stronger and a hard-working player. It taught me that the most important thing is to play with heart.”
Q: “Do you have any pre-match rituals or superstitions?”
A: “I always have a Starbucks iced coffee before every game. Every single game I have one.”
Q: “What has been your most memorable experience playing volleyball?”
A: “This season, a memory I can never forget with my team was taking a set from Juniata, which is a top-ranked team. All of our hard work came together.”
Q: “What does it mean to you to break both the school and conference records?”
A: “It makes me value how my teammates challenged me, and makes me value being a part of such an amazing team.”
Q: “What does it mean to you to be recognized by the Landmark Conference two years in a row?”
A: “All of the time and effort spent was worth it. It makes me appreciate my teammates and coach pushing me to be better every day.”