HPO member reflects on trip to Penn State Hershey’s Primary Care Day event

Keidy Barrientos

Keidy Barrientos is a first-year biology major on a pre-medical track. She is a member of the Health Professions Organization (HPO). She attended HPO’s trip to Primary Care Day at Penn State Hershey’s College of Medicine on Oct. 15. Alumni including second-year medical student, Jayde Hooven ‘15 and Mike Le, M.D., ’11 spoke about their experiences in medicine thus far to University students who attended the trip.

“Instructive” and “memorable” are two of the adjectives that come to mind when recalling my experience during Primary Care Day at Penn State College of Medicine. I will admit, the schedule appeared to be a little draining and although physically it was, the amount of information that I received was rewarding.

Through a series of presentations, I was given a thorough definition of what a primary care physician is and what their everyday lives look like.

Following these presentations all of the participants were given the choice of two workshops that further explained specific primary care fields such as OB/GYN or internal medicine.

The workshops I chose were medical Spanish and vaginal delivery. During vaginal delivery, I participated in a simulation to deliver a baby and its placenta. It was realistic enough and entertaining. Medical Spanish was dedicated to teaching the medical terms in Spanish; I also learned something new about Motrin, Advil and the Hispanic population. Advil and Motrin are essentially the same thing, but if a Hispanic patient sees no results with an Advil tablet, prescribing Motrin will most likely help because Motrin has a sugar that complements the sugar in Hispanic blood.

Out of everything I learned that day, my crash course on Motrin was the most memorable.
Primary Care Day also focused on accelerated programs, becoming a good candidate and the school’s grading system. One thing that stood out was the pass-fail grading system, which promotes a competition-free zone and a community centered on unity.

Penn State College of Medicine embraces a true sense of Cura Personalis and “men and women for others,” which, as a current Royal, is something I look for in the professional school of my choice.
I plan on going to Primary Care Day for the remainder of my four years at The University and would recommend the same for anyone considering a career in medicine.

The experience is truly rewarding, especially for those who may be uncertain of what primary care is or if it is the right career path for them. If you are anything like me and are certain that primary care is right for you, please attend the trip in the future.

What is the worst that can happen? You have an unforgettable experience that you want to share with everyone? I do not see the problem with that.