Letter to the Editor: Student stands for unity amongst discord

Published: Nov. 17, 2016

Dear Editor,

The news of president-elect Donald Trump has been swarming around for a week now and I have chosen, for reasons that may become clear soon, to remain rather silent. But upon reading ‘Professors condemn excuse for Trump voters,’ I felt inclined to speak for the many ‘racist, xenophobic, sexist, poor-hating’ labeled individuals who have let some liberals preach their misguided disgust toward many individuals in this country.

I have found myself frustrated with these accusations being flung around with relentless discord. Instead of preaching for the acceptance of one another, cried out for over a year, the focus has been fixated on ‘how could we.’ We have shifted the theme of being misunderstood from left to right. Labeling others was a hostile road I have been guided away from since a young age. My father, a republican correction officer for 28 years, has instilled in me to listen to the person, not the people. Not everyone should be defaulted to the pigeonholed set of standards produced from polls. I am not questioning the accuracy of polls, nor do I believe that I have the credentials to do so, but I believe it is fair to debate the importance and relevance of potentially skewed and limiting questions that aggregate a set of individuals whom have completely different routes on their derived answers.

There is little point in denying the results; Donald Trump, despite the polls and opinions of many, is our president-elect. The First Amendment justly protects much of the retaliation occurring nation-wide because of that very fact. But amidst the chaos, I cannot help and consider how the mobilization of that disarray could result in both advocacy and diplomatic discussions of the very issues that have caused this divide.

Instead of shifting the blame between Blue and Red like we have consistently throughout history, we should accept the results that are safeguarded by our Constitution while continuing to execute our civic duties to uphold these rights and formulate paths for unity. My fear of the future doesn’t reside as much in policy change; I believe that our system of checks and balances and the relentless voice of the people to do good will curtail any potential deduction of the things Americans hold dear. Rather, I fear that we as Americans will continue to get this rhetoric wrong — spending our time arguing over assumed characteristics of one another instead of the philosophical implications of our ways.

As a senior at this University, I have learned the value of having a professional whom allows for their students to foster their own unique ideas, while imparting room to have open discussions about important matters. It is disappointing to see that some of those who I hold to this high standard have made the mistake of confusing numbers for the value and legitimate experiences of the voting public. It is my hope that instead of distorted views of one another, we can come together, unified under one nation, and truly make America great again.

Holly Hilbrandt