Athlete Spotlight: Alexix Roman

LUKE KROPP
Sports Co-Editor

Alex Roman is a major key in sustaining The University’s women’s basketball team’s success.

The senior forward has scored double digits in 19 of her last 20 games, helping to bring the Lady Royals to 21-3. Roman had 18 points and six rebounds against Drew University Feb. 8, 15 points and seven rebounds against Catholic University Saturday and 24 points and six rebounds against Susquehanna University Wednesday.

Her impressive performances earned her the title of this week’s Athlete of the Week. Roman and the Lady Royals will face Goucher College in their final regular season game Saturday at 1 p.m. Roman and fellow seniors Sarah Payonk and Denise Rizzo will be honored at that Senior Day game.

Q: How and when did you get in to playing basketball?
A: I probably started playing in fifth grade. I honestly had no idea about the sport. I was like, “Why did we have to have to have two teams when we played?” That was my first question to my coach when I was in fifth grade. And then I just progressed through like junior high, seventh and eighth grade, played freshman year. I actually got to play junior varsity instead of on the freshman team, so I got experience then. I really got serious about it probably my sophomore year, especially when we were playing like travel, AAU (Amateur Atheltic Union), and just committing all of my time to basketball, like not playing any other sports.

Q: Did you play any other sports in high school?
A: I played tennis. That was about it.

Q: What is your favorite basketball memory?
A: It was probably the Sweet 16 and the Elite 8 at our school and even the first round too of the NCAA Tournament. Our gym was so packed. There were at least 2,000 people in the gym. It was so hot in there and it was such a great atmosphere and it was so fun to be on a court and you have all these people watching you screaming. It was so fun.

Q: What has been your biggest challenge so far?
A: We lost two great defenders last year in Noelle [Alicea] and Jaclyn [Gantz] and I feel like defense this year has been more of a struggle. We just have to realize how important it is. Offense for us will come because everyone on our team can score very well and is capable. But defense for us, we really have to focus in on it and get defensive stops.

Q: What has your ultimate basketball goal?
A: I definitely want to win the Landmark Conference and advance in the Tournament as far as possible. It’d be great to get past the Elite 8.

Q: What is your life goal?
A: After college I plan to start working. Hopefully live at home. I’ll be in this area, relatively, and just get a job and save some money.

Q: What advice can you give to the younger players?
A: College is the most fun time of your life and getting to be on a team like Scranton where you have such a culture and tradition of family, we’re just so lucky. The people we’re surrounded by, the type of coaches that we have, our parents. We’re just really lucky and don’t take any of it for granted. It’s just a great opportunity to be here and get to play basketball here.

Q: Why did you choose The University?
A: Coach Strong actually lived not far from me and we went to the same high school and he’d come to all of my high school games so I had a really good relationship with him before I came to this school. He was just a great coach and everything that he emphasized was just what you want. He emphasized family and love and how our team was so close. I also loved the school and he girls on the team.

Q: Who is the funniest girl on the team?
A: Katie Feehery. Her sense of humor is out of this world. I feel like I can name a couple people but she’s one of my best friends and she just cracks me up all the time. She’s a maniac. Just a dry sense of humor.

Q: Do you have any pregame rituals?
A: When we go to away games we usually get Downtown Deli. And for me, personally, on the bus or at home I listen to music before I start to play. And when we go into the locker room we have a speaker and we’ll put on music and dance around and have fun with each other and then get serious.

Q: Who is your basketball role model/idol?
A: I’d say Jaclyn Gantz. Jaclyn just works so hard all the time and she was such a great leader, great person, and great player.

Q: Who is your celebrity crush?
A: J Cole.

Q: Would you rather have spiders for roommates or roommates for spiders?
A: Spiders for roommates.