Planned Parenthood supporters fear defund

Sergio Caceres
Forum Editor

In the previous year Republicans in congress have tried to pass bills that will defund health services such as Planned Parenthood.

President Obama and many other democrats have fought, and continue to fight against these bills. The problem is that now Donald Trump is president and Planned Parenthood has a bigger risk of getting defunded. This previous weekend, there was a defund Planned Parenthood rally in Downtown Scranton, and there have been and will be many across the country in the following months or years.

Planned Parenthood is mostly known as the place that “kills babies” and take the life of babies.

Abortion is a touchy subject due to the fact that it goes against many religions and is seen as a moral debate. Yes, Planned Parenthoods have abortions as one of their services but abortions are not the only service they have. People look down at Planned Parenthood because they are “baby killers” but do not understand that they provide so many more services that are beneficial to everyone.

Planned Parenthood has services such as STD/HIV testing, contraception, cancer screenings, abortions and help women with resources to get a mammogram, and other services.

Aside from abortions, Planned Parenthood provides more than 4.2 million tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections, including more than 650,000 HIV tests a year. Planned Parenthood provides more than 270,000 Pap tests and more than 360,000 breast exams in a single year, both critical services in detecting cancer.

Planned Parenthood affiliates provide educational programs and outreach to 1.5 million young people and adults in a single year. 2.5 million women and men in the United States annually visit Planned Parenthood affiliate health centers for trusted health care services and information.

Many people go to Planned Parenthood because they trust their services and know that they will be helped with the best care. The two biggest services Planned Parenthood offers is contraception making up 34 percent and STD/HIV testing at 42 percent of their total services. Back to abortion, it is only 3 percent of what Planned Parenthood does.

That means 97 percent of the time they are helping others with other services than abortion. So why would defunding Planned Parenthood thought of as a good idea?

Is it because people think that defunding it will decrease abortion? It will only increase illegal and dangerous abortions costing many lives. Aside from that, by defunding Planned Parenthood it will be harder for millions to access contraception and STD/HIV testing.

For instance, Scott County, Indiana, the center of an exploding HIV outbreak, has been without an HIV testing center since early 2013, when a Planned Parenthood clinic was forced to close its doors.

The funny thing is that the clinic did not offer abortion services. Those cuts came amid a national and local political campaign to demonize the health care provider. Now, the state is scrambling to erect pop-up clinics to combat an unprecedented HIV epidemic caused by intravenous drug use.

By defunding Planned Parenthood many people will be at a higher risk of getting STDs or HIV and thousands of women will have difficulties getting inexpensive and available contraception’s such as birth control. Thousands of women depend on Planned Parenthood to get their birth control defunding can make it difficult.

Furthermore, many people continue to use the argument that Planned Parenthood uses government money on useless things such as abortions.

The truth is barely of the government money is used to cover abortions. Some sources say that about 20 percent of government money goes to abortions which means the other 80 percent (majority of the money) is used on other services other than abortion.

At the end of the day, defunding Planned Parenthood would be detrimental to millions of men and women.

Defunding this health service will not decrease abortion and will only put lives at risk and make it difficult for women and men to receive health services.

2 Responses to Planned Parenthood supporters fear defund

  1. Jeriah Knox Reply

    February 17, 2017 at 5:20 am

    Planned Parenthood needs to be DEFUNDed because they are in the religion business. They are seeking to enforce their moral codes and tell Americans what is right and wrong, what is good and evil. They aren’t asking you to believe like they do, no their telling you what to believe and telling you to submit to their moral authority.

  2. amel Reply

    March 8, 2017 at 11:40 pm

    Very interesting information, thank u
    distributor pakan burung

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *