Students claim Valentine’s Day apathy

CATHERINE BOMBARD

Out of all the major holidays, Valentine’s Day may be the one best represented on a college campus. The holiday, synonymous with chocolate, flowers and romance affects students in a simple, obvious manner: it highlights if people are either single or in a relationship.

The question that always seems to arise during this time of love and affection, to no surprise, is this: Is Valentine’s Day really worth the hype? Does it truly matter?

Junior Jenna Neyen, who has been in a relationship for a little over six months, does not see the appeal in the day. “If you love the person you’re with then you don’t need a day to celebrate it. Like how people say, you’re my valentine everyday so what’s the point of the day then?” Neyen said.

“Men feel obligated on Valentine’s Day to do something. I don’t think it’s out of love, I think it’s ‘everyone around me is doing it so I have to buy my girlfriend roses too.’”Neyen’s opinion is consistent with a number of other University students.

“People see it as another money spending holiday,” Junior Jon Nicklas said. “I also think we [my girlfriend and I] both agree it’s not a big deal, why just celebrate your relationship on one day together? It’s no different than any other day.” However, Valentine’s Day occurs at the end of “cuffing season,” which, according to Neyen is the time between Halloween and February.

“That’s what makes people cynical,” Neyen said. “If you’re single for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day is just the icing on the cake.”

“It’s kind of like Christmas. Everyone loves Christmas, but it gets marketed to such a high degree that it loses it’s luster,” Nicklas said. “Valentine’s Day is the same way.”

The perception of “Singles Awareness Day” as some call it, has undoubtedly shifted. With the rise of single culture, female empowerment and female independence, it is safe to say that the Hallmark holiday has lost it’s demeaning and self loathing quality.

“Girls are more independent nowadays and it’s a great thing,” Nicklas said. “50 years ago it wasn’t like that and you were a stay at home mom. Now the marketing industry is telling me I should be giving this girl, the same girl who’s focused on more than her relationship, everything, it’s kind of subjective.”

It is obvious that the average college student has more to worry about than whether or not they’re single on Valentine’s Day, or really any other day.

Although some may argue this claim, millennials seem incredibly focused on graduating college, finding a job, making money, being fit, etc. While being in a relationship has it’s perks, it by no means is a determining factor in the happiness of an individual.

In fact, according to a poll conducted by Glamour last February, 52 percent of single men and women were content, even glad, with being single on Cupid’s day.

Junior Justine Cardino said he could fall under that category. “I’m happy for the people in relationships on Valentine’s Day, but I’m not mad that I’m not.” Cardino said.

Many students also seem to feel that the day shouldn’t be spent merely celebrating romantic relationships.

Junior Joseph Venezia supports the notion that Valentine’s Day isn’t all about significant others. “Being single on valentines day is not a big deal,” Venezia said. “Even if you’re not dating someone you can trade gifts with your friends or get something for your mom.”

After speaking with a myriad of University students, the general consensus was that Valentine’s Day can be a special day depending on the couple, but overall is not as important to boyfriends and girlfriends as the media perceives.

“I think the idea among most of my friends was it was a normal day or just a day to spread some extra love,” said junior Katie Allen.

Junior Cameron Hughes said it best: “Any day is a good day when people are expressing their love for each other.”